Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, what do you think the 3 cylinder is going to sound like? I've seen videos of the peaugot 3 cylinder, and they sound riced out. Anyway, figured I'd ask.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
869 Posts
It's very quiet even with the rear section of the exhaust system removed. You can try removing it to see how it sounds. There is a removable clamp about half way down. You will still have the front resonator in place to keep it from being too loud. I already have a Flowmaster HP2 muffler, y-pipe and tubing ready to go.

Reactions: Creed0330

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you link where you got the HP2? I'm not seeing it foR the TB unless I'm just blind. Thanks for the reply. I trust you will post some audio in the near future.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Can you link where you got the HP2? I'm not seeing it foR the TB unless I'm just blind. Thanks for the reply. I trust you will post some audio in the near future.
Nobody makes an exhaust system yet for the Trailblazer. The HP2 muffler from Flowmaster is recommended for turbo engines. The exhaust is all 2" stainless steel. A y-pipe is only needed if you have the dual exhaust tips and you want both exhaust tips functional. I plan on trying the muffler with the factory resonator first and if it's too quiet then I'll remove it and just run the new muffler. I will definitely post a sound clip when I get it done.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Any updates on this? Planning on removing rear muffler myself?
Not done yet. If you want to remove rear muffler there is a band clamp about halfway down the exhaust that will allow you to easily remove the rear section. It's fun to hear the little 3cyl this way, just don't leave it that way for long as you could get carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust fumes being trapped underneath.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not done yet. If you want to remove rear muffler there is a band clamp about halfway down the exhaust that will allow you to easily remove the rear section. It's fun to hear the little 3cyl this way, just don't leave it that way for long as you could get carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust fumes being trapped underneath.

View attachment 980
Cant wait to hear what it sounds like ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve been thinking about removing the front silencer and leaving rear muffler. I’m worried about drone in cab thou

·
Registered
869 Posts
I’ve been thinking about removing the front silencer and leaving rear muffler. I’m worried about drone in cab thou
Also wondering why they put a resonator so close to the engine instead of farther downstream. I'm leaving the resonator and removing the muffler, but I have to fab up a single into dual setup in the back to replace the muffler. I have to do this in order to actually use the dual exhaust tips on the RS.

Summit Racing has some inexpensive 2" stainless tubing that you could have welded in place of the resonator. If you try it let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 980
How is it all coming along? Any way when time permits you can share some audio of the sounds?

·
Registered
869 Posts
How is it all coming along? Any way when time permits you can share some audio of the sounds?
It is coming along, but it always seems like another project takes priority. Had some problems getting 2" clamps. Received 1.75" and had to return, blah blah. Last items I'm working on are hangers for each pipe where they go into the fake exhaust tips on the bumper. The clearance will be tighter since the exhaust pipes are a little bigger, 1.5" vs 2", so I'm trying to make adjustable hangers to get a good fit.

Reactions: Canada03ZR2

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
622 Posts
This one will be interesting. Don't see how this little motor can sound sporty. :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Spent some time today with the exhaust. I cut off the muffler today and drove around for a while to see how it sounds and performs. It's actually pretty quiet overall and this is without the y-pipe installed which will quiet it down even more. The one thing that really stood out was the performance increase. All I can say is wow! The factory muffler must be very restrictive because without the rear one installed the acceleration is crazy, enough to light up the front tires using the same pedal input as before. Boost comes on quicker so low end acceleration is much improved. Right now I'm working on the y-pipe fitment and I'll post more pics as soon as I get it done.

The huge factory rear muffler.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Quick mock up.

Parts needed to do dual exhaust. Only thing missing is the hangers which I'll be using some long 10mm x 1.5 x 130mm bolts with adjustable couplings. The bolts will be bent 90° with the heads cut off so they slide into the factory rubber hangers.

The cut to remove the muffler was made so that the muffler can be easily re-installed if you decide you don't like the sound or if you sell or trade it in.

·
Premium Member
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer RS
49 Posts
You see my post on Facebook? Once you get this done, you gotta start making these as a kit.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Looks good. Are you eliminating the muffler , or putting something else back in?
There are 2 mufflers. The first one is right being the catalytic converter and the other one is tucked under the rear bumper. I'm only removing the rear muffler and putting a y-pipe in it's place. If I feel the need to further fine tune the exhaust sound I'll cut out the front muffler and put a high flow Borla muffler in it's place.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts