Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2023 ACTIV.
Since new I noticed the water temp gauge would go to the first line, and stay there, then after about 10 miles of hwy driving it would go up to the second line there it stays.
Where does your water temp gauge run after fully warm?
Why I think it's a gauge issue, is yesterday I was driving on the highway and I saw it pop up to the second mark and then back, then back.
But wanting to know where water temp gauges read. Thanks.

· Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
1,155 Posts
If I remember right it's in the middle of the gauge during normal driving, but I can't remember how many lights that were lit up.

Reactions: Kermmydog

· Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2023 ACTIV.
Since new I noticed the water temp gauge would go to the first line, and stay there, then after about 10 miles of hwy driving it would go up to the second line there it stays.
Where does your water temp gauge run after fully warm?
Why I think it's a gauge issue, is yesterday I was driving on the highway and I saw it pop up to the second mark and then back, then back.
But wanting to know where water temp gauges read. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure my 23 rs does that also,I found it a little strange but the heat works fine and not overheating

· Registered
39 Posts
When mine is fully warm it sits in the middle. When it's really cold out though it takes a while to get there.
I have remote started it before when it was really cold and let it idle for 10 minutes, then drove it for 20 minutes and it might only get to the second mark.
When the temperature is really low,I noticed the temperature gauge will only stay at the second bar, after 20 mile ride to work

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for everyone's responses.
Sounds like another defect. I'm going to see what my dealer says.
But since others are having similar issues maybe Chevy will find a fix.
Again thanks.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Thank you for everyone's responses.
Sounds like another defect. I'm going to see what my dealer says.
But since others are having similar issues maybe Chevy will find a fix.
Again thanks.
I don't think you're having a problem since everyone else said their temp gauge runs about the same. In the winter months that little 3 cyl doesn't create a lot of heat so the temp gauge will read lower than in the summer months where it stays about mid point.

If you truly believe your engine isn't getting hot enough I'd look at the active aero shutters in front of the radiator. The shutters are controlled by an electric motor that opens and closes them based on engine coolant temp and vehicle speed. The shutters will close to help the engine heat up and they also close at freeway speed to create better aerodynamics. If the shutters stay open in very cold weather it would be difficult for the engine to ever reach normal operating temp.

Another thing worth mentioning is that GM sells a lower radiator cover for owners in very cold climates. It is used in the winter to help prevent radiator/intercooler icing which can also cause the engine to run too cold.

Reactions: Donkey work

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think you're having a problem since everyone else said their temp gauge runs about the same. In the winter months that little 3 cyl doesn't create a lot of heat so the temp gauge will read lower than in the summer months where it stays about mid point.

If you truly believe your engine isn't getting hot enough I'd look at the active aero shutters in front of the radiator. The shutters are controlled by an electric motor that opens and closes them based on engine coolant temp and vehicle speed. The shutters will close to help the engine heat up and they also close at freeway speed to create better aerodynamics. If the shutters stay open in very cold weather it would be difficult for the engine to ever reach normal operating temp.

Another thing worth mentioning is that GM sells a lower radiator cover for owners in very cold climates. It is used in the winter to help prevent radiator/intercooler icing which can also cause the engine to run too cold.
Thank you for your information. It gets warm enough, the heater works great.
I just noticed the gauge and wondering if it was only me or another TB issue.
As a rule we have fairly moderate winters. But this year has been colder and much damper than normal. I had another cold weather thing with my 18 Equinox that we have owned for 5 years and traveled this country without any of the issues of this year, until this winter.

· Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
865 Posts
On a COLD day it will stick at the first mark then end up at the mid mark, normal. NOT GOOD to let a car sit for 10 minute idle to warm up. You should start and go. Google it!

· Registered
1,155 Posts
A 2 minute warm up is plenty of time to build a little heat and driving immediately after does warms up the engine faster than idling which over time actually prolongs engine life. Just don't be one of those people who cold starts a car then immediately throws it in drive and tears away, lol. That can do real damage and I remember giving my dad a hard time cause he just wouldn't listen and did it all the time. 😬

Reactions: Kermmydog

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today we are cold mid 20s. I went for a drive to visit a couple of friends.
While driving in town it stayed at the first mark. As soon as I headed up the highway and got to hwy speed it will just jump to the mid point. As soon as I get back in town it jumped back to the first mark. Heater works great, no change with gauge change.
I asked our service lady to watch for any bulletins. She had seen anything yet, but would watch.

· Registered
39 Posts
Today we are cold mid 20s. I went for a drive to visit a couple of friends.
While driving in town it stayed at the first mark. As soon as I headed up the highway and got to hwy speed it will just jump to the mid point. As soon as I get back in town it jumped back to the first mark. Heater works great, no change with gauge change.
I asked our service lady to watch for any bulletins. She had seen anything yet, but would watch.
I'm looking for my dash thermometer,i use it for the ac in the summer it's pretty accurate,I'm thinking I forgot it on my trade in, but would read the dash heat very well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts