Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rained heavy last night, opened the door and noticed water pouring out of the base of the door, right at the tip where the is closest to the body. Came out pretty fast, so I opened the other 3 doors and the same condition. Looks like it's behind the plastic molding and not the metal door it self, any thoughts?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did you get down and check exactly where it's coming from or just open doors and assume the worse? If it's coming from the front bottom in a steady but poured stream that's where the drain hole is in your doors. Probably clogged with debris or pine needles not allowing it to drain normally overtime you'd be amazed at what magically transports it's way in there. My best advice is take it to the dealership with a video clip and don't let them pass it off because you have speakers and wiring that can eventually get damaged if the drainage is bad or has a defect missed from QC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get down and check exactly where it's coming from or just open doors and assume the worse? If it's coming from the front bottom in a steady but poured stream that's where the drain hole is in your doors. Probably clogged with debris or pine needles not allowing it to drain normally overtime you'd be amazed at what magically transports it's way in there. My best advice is take it to the dealership with a video clip and don't let them pass it off because you have speakers and wiring that can eventually get damaged if the drainage is bad or has a defect missed from QC.
Will take your advice and Video the water coming from the door, but why would all 4 doors react in the same way? If there was a clog, I would guess one maybe two doors but not all 4, and the inside metal part of the door base is dry, looks like its coming from the plastic molding interface to the outer door panel.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
866 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This a much debated topic on the FB group. I personally believe that if the water is draining then there is no problem and GM is going to tell you the same. The only thing in question is the plastic door trim that pushes up against the door drain holes when the doors are closed. The trim slows down the water flow so it takes longer than normal to properly drain. That's why you see so much water come out of the drain holes as soon as you open the doors. IMO the only real solution is to make the drain holes bigger or to drill small holes in the trim to allow the water to escape faster.

Reactions: mkutch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum! This a much debated topic on the FB group. I personally believe that if the water is draining then there is no problem and GM is going to tell you the same. The only thing in question is the plastic door trim that pushes up against the door drain holes when the doors are closed. The trim slows down the water flow so it takes longer than normal to properly drain. That's why you see so much water come out of the drain holes as soon as you open the doors. IMO the only real solution is to make the drain holes bigger or to drill small holes in the trim to allow the water to escape faster.
I see your logic, and it makes sense, I will still take it back to the dealer ,with the videos, and let him document the problem. I don't want the car to start rusting and have no proof of this after the warranty runs out!

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
866 Posts
I see your logic, and it makes sense, I will still take it back to the dealer ,with the videos, and let him document the problem. I don't want the car to start rusting and have no proof of this after the warranty runs out!
Nothing wrong with taking it in. If enough people complain GM might actually develope a fix that provides better/faster drainage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rained heavy last night, opened the door and noticed water pouring out of the base of the door, right at the tip where the is closest to the body. Came out pretty fast, so I opened the other 3 doors and the same condition. Looks like it's behind the plastic molding and not the metal door it self, any thoughts?
I think I have this drainage issue figured out. From day one I had noticed when I opened my doors after a significant rain or washing I would see approximately a half cup of water drain from my doors when I opened them. Didn’t really give it much thought until I saw this thread. I had an idea what may be causing this but needed to grab my level and head out to the driveway. Sure enough my hunch was correct. When you open the doors it creates a pitch that I would estimate to be about 10 degrees. They are pitched toward the front of the vehicle which is why we see the water typically coming from first drain hole. Any water remaining in the door after a heavy rain which is laying flat at the bottom will drain out once you open your doors. I personally would not pursue trying to remedy any clogging issues. I believe what we are experiencing is by design. Check the bottom of your door with a level when its closed and again when its open and you will see for yourself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep,the big plastic molding holds it in.there are drain holes in door right above molding ,molding sticks out farther than door and catches the rain.
I took a pair of snips,cut a V notch in molding right below drain,then drilled several 3/16 holes in bottom of molding to prevent water build up.
Definatly a problem Chevrolet should take care of.It is gonna be a frozen mess in winter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts