2021 Chevy Trailblazer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
89 Posts
That would make sense, and would match what I see now that I'm investigating chevrolet.ca

What are the chances that the wiring harness is buried in the current bumper, inaccessible until it is opened up for a hitch install? Why would the owners manual not provide details about the wiring harness in the trailer towing section?

View attachment 189

You all got my curiosity piqued and I had to go look. My RPO tag shows V92 so I believe mine is ready for towing minus the hitch and additional wiring harness adapter. While investigating I also found this harness not hooked up which is most likely for where the adapter harness would plug in. If you look under the trim piece over the rear bumper on the driver side you should find this same plug. The Pre production sample label is a surprise to see. Mine also has this label. I would of believed that they were prototypes for checking fit and function, and would of been destroyed once approved for production.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
100 Posts
So is there additional oil/trans cooler on this trailering package? Keep that SAMPLE label there. In 40 years when these are worth millions that sticker from the first run units will make it worth even more. ha ha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Resolution and clarification found.

I was able to contact our Regionsal Marketing snd Branfing Ma age and emailed me with the answers we all have. So all 1.3 L turbo’s AWD options come standard with a 4-pin trailer wire connector. If you want to utilize the trailering option, you have to purchase the hitch and hitch bezel from the dealer. Kind of silly in my opinion, but nonetheless it is what it is.

the marketing team will be sending all North American dealerships s memo to blaring this option. Thanks for everyone’s input.
Shawn

·
Super Moderator
100 Posts
I would not ask this little truck to tow anything so I won't be getting the option put on.

Reactions: ZR2LIFE

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
101 Posts
I would not ask this little truck to tow anything so I won't be getting the option put on.
Me too. I have a truck for towing plus 1000lbs is the max rating which doesn't offer many options, maybe a very small utility trailer, small boat, watercraft, etc.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
100 Posts
I did find the little plug on mine as shown here is a pic a few posts before mine, I also have the speaker back in the tire area. WHY? With the board covering it the sound is pretty much NOTHING.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
101 Posts
I did find the little plug on mine as shown here is a pic a few posts before mine, I also have the speaker back in the tire area. WHY? With the board covering it the sound is pretty much NOTHING.
It's just a small subwoofer that uses low non directional frequencies so it doesn't need to be out in the open to work properly. Mids and highs are directional which is why those speakers are placed facing the occupants. Even though it might help fill in the bottom end of the frequency range a little it's still a pretty small subwoofer by most standards.

Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Resolution and clarification found.

I was able to contact our Regionsal Marketing snd Branfing Ma age and emailed me with the answers we all have. So all 1.3 L turbo’s AWD options come standard with a 4-pin trailer wire connector. If you want to utilize the trailering option, you have to purchase the hitch and hitch bezel from the dealer. Kind of silly in my opinion, but nonetheless it is what it is.

the marketing team will be sending all North American dealerships s memo to blaring this option. Thanks for everyone’s input.
Shawn
We are having the hitch installed at the dealership right now. The dealership called to say that it will be ready in ~30 minutes, but they need to know if we want to buy a wiring harness. The technician said that the provisions only include a spot to plug a harness into, but not the actual wiring harness itself. This might be useful information for anyone towing a utility trailer or similar with their TB.

·
Super Moderator
100 Posts
The way that option is worded it should all be included and put on at the dealer FOR FREE.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Quaid, yes, the wire harness is separate, and you'd think that the hitch package would include everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Quail, if you don’t mind me asking, how much will the parts and labor cost all together?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quail, if you don’t mind me asking, how much will the parts and labor cost all together?
Quail.jpg so close on the name! ;)

We purchased the hitch with the vehicle once we saw that it did not actually have a hitch. The dealership charged $387 CAD (~$288 USD) with the line item "hitch" on the vehicle's bill of sale.

Today we were charged $0 for labour, and zero additional dollars for the parts ($387 already paid). We received the hitch and the bezel, which have line item prices listed as "Hitch kit - Internal" $327 CAD, and "Cover - Internal" $159 CAD. We did not receive the additional wiring harness that is required for towing a trailer. I get the impression that the dealership expected it to come with the hitch kit, and that's why they phoned us mid-install when they realized it was not included. We also found the heater block electrical cord had been pulled out from with the spare tire, and left on top of the cargo area, suggesting they were looking for the wiring harness.

If we asked the dealership today to have all three items installed, then I'm guessing it would come close to this:
  1. Hitch kit - Internal -- $327 CAD
  2. Cover - Internal -- $159 CAD
  3. Harness & Connector -- $150(?) CAD
  4. Labour 2hrs @100/hr -- $200(?) CAD
  5. Subtotal -- $836 CAD
  6. Taxes @13% -- $109 CAD
  7. TOTAL -- $945 CAD (~$705 USD)
That is very expensive for a vehicle that already included "V92 Trailering Equipment", whatever that means. This all strikes me as dishonest smoke & mirrors from Chevrolet. From what I can tell, V92 includes virtually nothing. Any vehicle can have a wiring harness added by a dealership...so the ability to add a wiring harness hardly qualifies as a special trailering provision. Poor form, Chevy.

I'm at peace with how the dealership handled the misinformation about the hitch. They honoured their price even after they learned that the cover was extra. I think they should have included the wiring harness too, but I'm not going to fight them for that.

Now, about that bezel...the fitment is poor. It feels solidly attached but it clearly doesn't fit properly. See photo:
IMG_20200724_152247.jpg IMG_20200724_152242.jpg IMG_20200724_152236.jpg IMG_20200724_145151.jpg

Looking back at the GM Authority article to check that the cover wasn't for a different trim, I notice that it's a different colour (the article shows a black cover for the Activ). Might this be a cover intended for a Buick Encore GX?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sorry for your experience. I work for GM at the Silverado and Sierra plant and Feel bad that the communication to the dealerships was not clear and that the bezel didn’t fit very well either. I hope that your experience will help to improve service to future customers.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
89 Posts
Quaid,
Sorry to hear about your experience. I would agree the fit is not nearly as good as it should be. To me, it looks like they may not have tightened the nuts on the upper mounting posts enough. Unless they are just drilled and meant to snap in. That cover looks more appropriate for an LT model with the gray coloring. I thought the ACTIV models had a more chrome appearance on the rear lower panel. From the Chevy trailblazer site they show it as P/N 42744116 Two of the three picture it looks black to charcoal colored one picture looks gray colored.

Smoser,

Thank you for the diagram with P/N's

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
100 Posts
For all the trouble what are you towing, this car can't tow very much heavy stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We mostly use a hitch mounted bike rack (which we can now use) but we were considering a utility trailer / kayak trailer for fishing kayaks. Currently the kayaks go on the roof of other vehicle, but they're a pain to heave up there.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
89 Posts
Quaid,
Looking at your hitch setup do you feel there is enough room for inserting the receiver insert pin? I am trying to visualize attaching the hitch and the amount of room. Just wondering if it will be easy or a little bit of work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can confirm that it's difficult to access and a bit of a pain to work with. However, that's just built-in hitch security! It's a feature, not a flaw!

We got our bike rack installed yesterday and it has a locking hitch pin. The lock was hard to fit on to the pin with the available room in the recessed area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's a photo to illustrate what I mean about tight space for installing a hitch pin lock. The zip tie is just something I add to stop the lock from rattling.

The task is perfectly achievable, but it's not as convenient as when the pin protrudes out behind the bumper.

IMG_20200726_115756.jpg

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
89 Posts
Quaid,
When you get a chance. Will you show a couple of pics with the bike rack loaded On the TB. It is always nice to visually see what it will look like.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts