Trailblazer Forum banner

Turbo

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Starfire72 
#1 ·
Hey gang can the start/stop system do harm to the turbo charger?

#12 ·
I am thinking that as long as the engine is warm, starting and stopping isn't that big a deal. Everything is still coated in oil, everything is expanded to where it should be.
Hopefully gm engineers thought of this!
explain what “ internal , and external “would it ware .
please explain.
the only ware it’s gonna have-on an engine would be the starter . Really .
do you not think the engineers would think “ ohh hey it puts ware on everything let’s not do this “ of course they think of it , otherwise it wouldn’t be a feature.

it does almost no harm to a turbo. But add ware on the starter . Where I’m from . Lights are long 2+ mins each, it’s pretty horrible, and I control start stop. With the AC button .It’s always on low and if I feel fine then I tie the ac off and enjoy the sit .
but like I said auto stop start would and should not hurt nothing more than it’s own starter .

#3 ·
The simple answer is no it won't hurt the turbo, but restarts in general do increase wear on several internal and external parts. The auto stop/start feature only adds 0.4 mpg if used alot in city driving, so it's entirely up to you what's more important, engine longevity or slightly higher gas mileage.

Reactions: psnyder53
#8 ·
It all has to do with the EPA. When you combine auto start/stop, variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation (available on 4, 6 and 8cy engines), they all add up to the maximum mpg possible which is what every manufacturer wants to advertise/brag about. I personally don't think auto start/stop makes much sense for the very small gas mileage gain at the expense of wearing out parts faster. Another problem not mentioned enough is how bad auto start/stop is for the electrical system, especially the battery. When the engine is off at a light all the power needed for every accessory is now being drawn from the battery. When you cycle a battery like that it kills the overall lifespan even though the system is somewhat protected by auto starting when the voltage drops too far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.