Trailblazer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
234 Posts
VIN serial 13575. As of 11-15, not listed on the NHTSA recall search. Ownership began 29 May 2020.
We bought our Trailblazer May 18th, VIN number 11372 and as of Nov 15th no open recalls or TSB's pending. I checked my VIN on the Chevy site and NHTSA site.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
289 Posts
My vin is 14160. So is that 13k, 14k units made?

·
Registered
234 Posts
My vin is 14160. So is that 13k, 14k units made?
Yes and so far this year Chevy has sold just over 17k Trailblazers with sales very strong right now in Q3. The fact they are selling so well is why the rebates aren't as good and why dealers are being stingy with their inventory.

Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok, so just got off the phone with my dealership they are not vin specific it is a blanket recall and affect us all. Likely 2021s up until atleast October. My dealership had no vin recall or a notice because GM has not released a fix for this to them. I'll keep you updated on my little saga I drop the TB later tonight. It should be noted my CEL from Friday's incident was off this morning as it was not the first time I experienced this issue after a few ignition cycles. Do not ignore the issue if your CEL turns off get it documented at your dealership some are useless at information lookup others are great at it and not all service advisors are created equal.

·
Super Moderator
289 Posts
So there is no recall for certains ones, but for all with no fix yet while folks drive around in a vehicle that can at any moment decide not to stop. Why does one dealership know it is for all but mine looks it up, see's no recall then just sends me on my way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The recall won't be "official" until they have a fix for it. This particular brake problem incolves the sensor responsible for providing vacuum assist from the electric vacuum pump. When it fails you lose vacuum assist which makes braking alot more difficult. Power brakes without assist are even worse than old school manual brakes. If you experience this problem you'll need to push down very hard on the brake pedal to stop. The e-brake or parking brake on the Trailblazer is electric so you can't use it while moving. It's basically an on or off front wheel brake that's disabled when you're in drive.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
289 Posts
My wife drives this thing daily. I don't know if she could STOMP on it to stop it if need be. Heck I may not if it happens when we are on traffic or city traffic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My wife drives this thing daily. I don't know if she could STOMP on it to stop it if need be. Heck I may not if it happens when we are on traffic or city traffic.
Same concern here, my wife is the primary driver. NHTSA only has 1 reported case where a Trailblazer owner had a hard time stopping, so it doesn't appear to be a widespread problem. It's hard to say how many sensors our there were contaminated by the supplier to GM, so it's nearly impossible to guess how many Trailblazers might be affected at this time. TrashPandaPerformance should notify GM and the NHTSA of the problem he experienced. It might help speed up this process since he is only the second person I've heard of who experienced brake failure.

Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let me give an update and some clarification because I saw a misleading comment since I last posted. Dropped the vehicle off they gave me a loaner said could be a week or a month so GM has recognized the problem but does not have the parts. So will not issue a public recall until then. Funny fact the tech in the morning lost braking power pulling into the building so I didn't have to deal with we don't see a problem again. Sales manager who sold me my TB during the pandemic had the original service guy who blew me off take care of me I'm sure that stung a little.

As for loss of brake assist you can't actually stomp down on it at all that does nothing more then regularly pressing the brake does. It electronic brake system gradually engages the parking brake when this happens you can stomp on it all you want it make no time difference on a flat road with when it works. My only hope is your not going downhill when this happens because you'd be [email protected]#ked.

·
Super Moderator
289 Posts
Your last sentence is of no comfort. eeeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your last sentence is of no comfort. eeeks.
It should make you worry when me and the technician talked tuesday afternoon he said the same thing pretty much and made it clear in front of the sales manager how bad this issue could potentially be. He subsequently doesn't like the service department there anymore then me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is a major lawsuit just waiting to happen. I wonder if any of the Corvette and Caddie owners have experienced this problem yet since they are also have the same brake sysyem? If GM can't identify which vehicles are potentially dangerous based on VIN how can any of us know if it's safe to continue driving our Trailblazers?

Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know a few Vette guys and a lot of Camaro guys being a former Camaro owner for 8+ yrs. Chances are given the Vette priority in GMs history they have a fix already out but have it earmarked for the higher end models before sending it out to the dealerships for the economy cars mostly due to the shutdown having backlogged a ton of manufacturing. If it was just the Camaro and our crossovers then we'd likely already have the recall mailed to us as it is.

·
Registered
234 Posts
From the NHTSA web site:

Recall Number
20V588000
Recall Date
09/24/2020
Potential Number of Units Affected
Component
SERVICE BRAKES

Summary
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2020 Chevrolet Corvette and Cadillac CT4, CT5 and XT4, 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer, and 2020-2021 Buick Encore GX vehicles. Sensor connection contamination in the electronic brake boost system may cause an interruption of communication between the sensor and the brake boost system.

Consequence
If communication with the sensor is interrupted, the electronic brake boost assist could be lost. Extra pedal force will be required to slow and stop the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do
GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the electronic brake boost module, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin November 9, 2020. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-630-2438, Cadillac customer service at 1-800-333-4223, or Buick customer service at 1-800-521-7300. GM's number for this recall is A202307260.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
289 Posts
Didn't we know that already?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Didn't we know that already?
We do, but maybe other owners haven't seen this. It does mention that you should still be able to stop by applying more pressure to the brakes which makes sense. You just won't have any assist. I'm starting to wonder if TrashPandaPerformance has a new or different brake problem. Either way it's still scary.

Steve

·
Registered
234 Posts
A little more info:

On June 30, 2020, GM opened an investigation into potential loss of brake boost assist in certain 2021 model year Chevrolet Trailblazer vehicles after a review of warranty data for the Korean market revealed several complaints of increased braking effort in those vehicles. Together with the electronic brake boost system supplier, GM conducted a teardown and material composition analysis of returned warranty parts for these vehicles. The analysis revealed evidence of material contamination in a connector to the system’s rotor position sensor (RPS). Testing was undertaken, which demonstrated such contamination could degrade the electrical connection between the RPS and the brake assist system, potentially causing loss of brake assist. GM and the system supplier reviewed warranty claim data and the connector material supplier’s production records. They discovered that, during a three day production window from December 16 to December 18, 2019, the connector material supplier failed to perform required cleaning of tooling used to manufacture the material where contamination was found. GM’s investigator completed a read across to determine which vehicles may be affected.

On September 17, 2020, GM’s Safety and Field Action Decision Authority decided to conduct a safety recall. GM is not aware of any injuries or accidents related to this condition.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
289 Posts
There is some good news.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts