Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just curious when everyone uses this? for me sometimes when merge onto the freeway.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
866 Posts
All the time! Everything just feels better in sport mode especially the steering feedback.

Reactions: Briz and MrNick86

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sport mode is so much nicer than normal for me. I find that it gives just the right amount of power when I need it, versus constantly searching for power in normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Always.
Might be in my head but my mpg has gotten better since I run sport all the time. I get 32.2 consistently vs 30.1.
I run all highway.

·
Registered
2021 TrailBlazer AWD Activ / Dark Copper Metallic
18 Posts
It appears you have to engage sportmode each time starting the vehicle is that true or am I missing something...and yes its is more responsive in sportmode.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It appears you have to engage sportmode each time starting the vehicle is that true or am I missing something...and yes its is more responsive in sportmode.
Yes it's just like the auto start/stop, have to engage it each time the vehicle is restarted.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Always.
Might be in my head but my mpg has gotten better since I run sport all the time. I get 32.2 consistently vs 30.1.
I run all highway.
I have taken several 6 hour one way trips, and this is something i tested. I did see better mpg on a long highway trip using sport mode. i dont recall the exact numbers, but what you posted seems about right.

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
621 Posts
Better MPG when sport mode run the TB at a higher RPM? I never use it. I have a 2016 Challenger RT with it and I don't even use it with that car, very little at best.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Better MPG when sport mode run the TB at a higher RPM? I never use it. I have a 2016 Challenger RT with it and I don't even use it with that car, very little at best.
Sport mode raises the shift points which keeps the engine higher in the rpm band which is where this little motor is the most efficient. I also get better mpg in sport mode, but only if I drive conservative (33 mpg). If I drive aggressively in sport mode my mpg drops alot (26 mpg). The higher shift points are nice, but I really like the tighter steering the most.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think ZR2LIFE is correct, this small engine with little bitty turbo doesn't like to be lugged (RPMs held below 1500 under load). That lugging causes the turbo to work overtime, which increases fuel consumption. The higher RPM allows the engine to produce more torque without calling on boost from the turbo as much.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Sounds like it should be run in sport mode more then not.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like it should be run in sport mode more then not.
I agree and always turn on sport mode. Not only does it make the car more responsive, but it also achieves greater efficiency.

The downside? Higher rpms will wear the engine faster, but we're talking a few thousand miles nothing huge.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
If you are on a road trip on the HWY should it be on in that situation?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes. Despite the fact that sport mode will use higher RPMs during acceleration, it actually uses the same RPMs during steady state speeds like cruising.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The 1.3 makes it's peak hp of 155 @ 5600 rpm and peak torque of 174 ft pounds @ 1600 rpm. Torque is what gets a vehicle moving and horsepower is what keeps it moving, so keeping the engine in it's "sweet spot" means running between 1600 and 5600 rpm. It's still amazing to me that this little engine makes it's peak torque at only 1600 rpm. This is why the Trailblazer seems quick despite only having a 3 cyl.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 1.3 makes it's peak hp of 155 @ 5600 rpm and peak torque of 174 ft pounds @ 1600 rpm. Torque is what gets a vehicle moving and horsepower is what keeps it moving, so keeping the engine in it's "sweet spot" means running between 1600 and 5600 rpm. It's still amazing to me that this little engine makes it's peak torque at only 1600 rpm. This is why the Trailblazer seems quick despite only having a 3 cyl.
But from a stop it seems to take forever before the torque actually kicks in. While you're already moving it is very torquey.

·
Registered
866 Posts
But from a stop it seems to take forever before the torque actually kicks in. While you're already moving it is very torquey.
Classic turbo lag. It's not too bad in the Trailblazer, but it's still there. Ceramic coating the turbo housing and heat wraps can reduce turbo lag, but I'm sure that would void the GM warranty, at least for anything engine related.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts