Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own a Chevy Sonic which shared the same engine as the Cruze. Those engines had an issue where the spark plugs were gapped inconsistently and/or incorrectly from the factory.

One of the improvements you would see after gapping them correctly is smoother idle and more low end response/power.

The more I drive this car the most I notice how rough it idles and how unresponsive it is until 2000+ rpm.

I plan on checking my spark plug gap soon, but has anyone else checked it? They're supposed to be set to 0.028".

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
1,113 Posts
I haven't checked mine and my 1.3 is running great, but I do always run 91 octane which does make it idle and run better.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
$8 if you guys don't get rid of newsom.
Actually he's trying to get rid of gasoline powered vehicles all together, wants it done by 2035. 😡

BTW, $8 a gallon is nothing, I used to fuel up some of my high compression vehicles with 96 octane at Sonoma Raceway for almost $10 a gallon. 🤪

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got around to checking the spark plug gap.

Cylinder 1 and cylinder 2 were set at 0.028", but cylinder 3 was at 0.026". I changed them all to 0.035".

I noticed a difference at low speeds and acceleration. It's much smoother and quieter. However, I don't really notice a difference in mpg. That may come with time as I adjust to the driving style.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I finally got around to checking the spark plug gap.

Cylinder 1 and cylinder 2 were set at 0.028", but cylinder 3 was at 0.026". I changed them all to 0.035".

I noticed a difference at low speeds and acceleration. It's much smoother and quieter. However, I don't really notice a difference in mpg. That may come with time as I adjust to the driving style.
The owners manual shows the plug gap for the 1.3T is (.65 to .75 mm) or (.025 to .029 inch). A larger gap reduces the voltage which creates a weaker spark which can cause misfires, lower fuel economy, increased emissions, etc. Generally you dont want to go beyond the maximum gap unless you upgrade the ignition coils to provide more available voltage. You might be ok with .035, just keep an eye out for any of the things I mentioned.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The owners manual shows the plug gap for the 1.3T is (.65 to .75 mm) or (.025 to .029 inch). A larger gap reduces the voltage which creates a weaker spark which can cause misfires, lower fuel economy, increased emissions, etc. Generally you dont want to go beyond the maximum gap unless you upgrade the ignition coils to provide more available voltage. You might be ok with .035, just keep an eye out for any of the things I mentioned.
Thanks for the warning, I am aware of the dangers that is why I didn't go to 0.040". I did a few WOT pulls and no hesitation or misfires. I will reduce the gap if I notice any issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts