Trailblazer Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Bad news to report on the replacement jack I ordered from GMParts. I received the jack today and it’s the same plastic jack with even the same part number(42743995) even though I ordered pn: 42743996. I am of course returning it.

View attachment 720

View attachment 721
Well that sucks. Is the bottom of that jack plastic too?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Yes, the bottom and the top is plastic. The only metal parts are the rivets, screw mechanism and pivot joints.
Wow, what were they thinking?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, what were they thinking?
Simple, they weren’t thinking. All the bean counters are looking at is cost. The plastic vs metal probably saves them a whole 50¢ per car.

Unfortunately, I suspect and hope I’m wrong, perhaps I’m just a pessimist but my prediction is I think anybody that does go to the dealer and complains about the craptastic plastic jacks, all the dealer is going to say is the plastic jacks are the only one’s available for the TB’s and factory metal replacements aren’t available.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Simple, they weren’t thinking. All the bean counters are looking at is cost. The plastic vs metal probably saves them a whole 50¢ per car.

Unfortunately, I suspect and hope I’m wrong, perhaps I’m just a pessimist but my prediction is I think anybody that does go to the dealer and complains about the craptastic plastic jacks, all the dealer is going to say is the plastic jacks are the only one’s available for the TB’s and factory metal replacements aren’t available.
Number6,
Thanks for being the one to "see what you get" with part # 42743996, since you got the plastic one I decided to order # 42521453 for a Encore GX too see what I get, GM Parts Direct shows both 42743996 and 42521453 for the Encore GX.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Number6,
Thanks for being the one to "see what you get" with part # 42743996, since you got the plastic one I decided to order # 42521453 for a Encore GX too see what I get, GM Parts Direct shows both 42743996 and 42521453 for the Encore GX.
It will be very interesting to see what you get. Please post with pictures when you receive it

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is my solution to the plastic jack issue. I bought a steel jack that has a 1.5 ton lift and has a ratchet handle off of Amazon for $30. It’s virtually the same size as the OEM jack unfortunately it won’t quite fit in the OEM parts tray jack compartment. The jack has a swiveling head that is designed to jack pinch welded seams like the OEM jack. I put it in behind the spare pressed it tight between the spare and the rear bulkhead. I fit the ratchet handle in the parts tray with the plastic jack.

·
Registered
21 TB LT AWD
62 Posts
This is my solution to the plastic jack issue. I bought a steel jack that has a 1.5 ton lift and has a ratchet handle off of Amazon for $30. It’s virtually the same size as the OEM jack unfortunately it won’t quite fit in the OEM parts tray jack compartment. The jack has a swiveling head that is designed to jack pinch welded seams like the OEM jack. I put it in behind the spare pressed it tight between the spare and the rear bulkhead. I fit the ratchet handle in the parts tray with the plastic jack.

View attachment 735

View attachment 736

View attachment 737
I got the same one and left it in the box because it took up less room, and got rid of the factory stuff to free up room for a 4 channel amp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Number 6,
In your last photo of the parts tray what is in the white package? I just have an empty spot, is it part of the jack stuff or is it something you put there?
Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
122 Posts
Assuming the only solution is to purchase an aftermarket jack, would a bottle jack be a better alternative to scissor jacks. Thoughts?

As we can see, even nearly identical scissor jacks are unlikely to fit well in the styrofoam kaizen organizer. Maybe the foam could be modified(cut) with a hot knife to alter the fitment?

If the styrofoam kaizen organizer is removed, the there's a lot of room to fit the emergency kit. It would just need to be repackaged eg in tool bags or different trays.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Number 6,
In your last photo of the parts tray what is in the white package? I just have an empty spot, is it part of the jack stuff or is it something you put there?
Thanks,
Dale
It’s the key for the locking lug nuts. I put it there so I wouldn’t lose it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Assuming the only solution is to purchase an aftermarket jack, would a bottle jack be a better alternative to scissor jacks. Thoughts?

As we can see, even nearly identical scissor jacks are unlikely to fit well in the styrofoam kaizen organizer. Maybe the foam could be modified(cut) with a hot knife to alter the fitment?

If the styrofoam kaizen organizer is removed, the there's a lot of room to fit the emergency kit. It would just need to be repackaged eg in tool bags or different trays.
Do we have enough clearance for a bottle jack? I haven't check the Dim's but they seem to be quite tall.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Do we have enough clearance for a bottle jack? I haven't check the Dim's but they seem to be quite tall.
I would be more concerned about the jacking points and lack of pinch weld protection from a bottle jack. The factory scissor jack is made to fit the jack points perfectly. Using anything else can damage the body.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I received Part # 42521453 for the Encore GX today and the good news is it is a METAL JACK it has the exact same numbers on it as the jack ZR2LIFE posted pictures of. So now the only question is how long GM will carry the 42521453 part number.

Since I had already purchased another metal metal jack off eBay and in the Pay It Forward Spirit and to avoid being accused of "Hoarding Metal Jacks" I am going to put the names of all those that contributed to this thread and reported having a PLASTIC JACK in a hat and draw one name and I will send them the metal jack. I will announce the winner tomorrow.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
308 Posts
Good to know a metal version is still available. Paying it forward is a great gesture on your part. I personally vote for it to go to the member that actually had their jack break, if Chevy doesn’t help them out.
I hope you are rewarded with good karma for this kindness.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I received Part # 42521453 for the Encore GX today and the good news is it is a METAL JACK it has the exact same numbers on it as the jack ZR2LIFE posted pictures of. So now the only question is how long GM will carry the 42521453 part number.

Since I had already purchased another metal metal jack off eBay and in the Pay It Forward Spirit and to avoid being accused of "Hoarding Metal Jacks" I am going to put the names of all those that contributed to this thread and reported having a PLASTIC JACK in a hat and draw one name and I will send them the metal jack. I will announce the winner tomorrow.
And the winner of a brand new shiny METAL JACK GM part number 42521453 is brownactive, so if you message me your address I will get it in the mail to you.
Dale

·
Registered
88 Posts

I Just ordered this jack also. When I receive it I’ll report back if it’s metal.fingers crossed 🤞🏻

61 - 80 of 94 Posts