Trailblazer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for posting the up close pics of the plastic jack. That design is questionable.
The good news is the plastic jack pn. 42743995 shows as discontinued on the GM parts site. Maybe that means GM realized what junk they are and scraped them.

FYI, I ordered the pn.42743996 jack from the GM parts site. When I receive it I’ll post if it’s plastic or metal.

I did find this inexpensive metal jack on Amazon that has a head designed for jacking pinch welds for only $25.99. It looks pretty much like the same size as the Chevy jack and could make a viable replacement:
Scissor Car Jack

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Trailblazer RS AWD
125 Posts
Interesting that in the description is lists "with Bose audio..."

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Interesting that in the description is lists "with Bose audio..."

View attachment 685
I saw the same when I looked. I know FWD Trailblazers have the jack kit under the spare tire while AWD and Bose equipped Trailblazers have the jack kit next to the spare tire because of the subwoofer located under the spare. I would also assume that FWD models with the Bose system would also have the jack kit next to the spare.

42743995 is a discontinued part number (plastic jack) while 42743996 is still available. The part number on my all metal jack is 42608319 which doesn't show up in online GM catalogs. I wonder if 42743996 is also a plastic jack or if it's metal? Number6 ordered one, so I guess we'll find out soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So has anyone gone to the dealorship and got their jack replaced? I see all the folks who said they were going to so I'm just wondering the results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The part number on my all metal jack is 42608319 which doesn't show up in online GM catalogs. I wonder if 42743996 is also a plastic jack or if it's metal? Number6 ordered one, so I guess we'll find out soon.
I don’t think that the “42608319” number on the sticker on the jack is the part number for the jack. That’s why it doesn’t show up on a parts search. Both of my plastic jack and all the other pics of of the jacks all have the same number on the sticker. It looks like all the jack’s, metal or plastic, all have the same sticker with that number on it.

My plastic jack does have “42743995” printed on the head of the jack. I think that GM has the jack’s part number printed or stamped on the head of the jack.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I don’t think that the “42608319” number on the sticker on the jack is the part number for the jack. That’s why it doesn’t show up on a parts search. Both of my plastic jack and all the other pics of of the jacks all have the same number on the sticker. It looks like all the jack’s, metal or plastic, all have the same sticker with that number on it.

My plastic jack does have “42743995” printed on the head of the jack. I think that GM has the jack’s part number printed or stamped on the head of the jack.
You could very well be right. That part number could be for the sticker itself. I'll look at my jack again, maybe there is a stamped part number, there wasn't anything printed on it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The only other GM part number on my metal jack is 13520482 which also doesn't show up in GM parts inventories.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The only other GM part number on my metal jack is 13520482 which also doesn't show up in GM parts inventories.

View attachment 686
That’s disappointing. Unfortunate that it doesn’t seem Chevy has a useful pn. on the metal jacks. I suspect that Chevy changed suppliers of the jacks to cheaper plastic ones and just used the metal ones until they ran out and then switched over to the plastic ones. Chevy said should I get the jack I ordered (pn. 42743996) by 4/20. I’ll post if it’s plastic or metal. My bet is It’ll be a plastic jack but who knows? Maybe I’ll get lucky and it’s metal.

·
Registered
88 Posts

View attachment 686
Maybe the 13520482 is the part number. Looking at the gm parts site I’ve found other parts that have a 135 prefix including the jack wrench who’s pn. is 13508360. Strange that it doesn’t show as discontinued on a search though.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
16 Posts
So has anyone gone to the dealorship and got their jack replaced? I see all the folks who said they were going to so I'm just wondering the results.
I have not yet. Still trying to decide if its a real issue or not. I don't feel I should have to pay for a metal one if it will eventually be a recalled part or replaced? I think I will call my local dealer to see what they think.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's possible that there were some rookies in configuration management who sent through a part change as a "running change" despite changes to fit-form-function, because an engineer or supplier contact told them it was 'basically the same'. That type of scenario happens all the time with all manufacturers, to be honest.

We had our TB up on jack stands to change out the winter wheels for summers this past weekend, but I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't checked the emergency jack. Thank you for the reminder.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Found my metal jack replacement. I purchased the whole jack and tools kit off eBay, looks like it came from a FWD model and it has the same numbers on it as ZR2LIFE's jack. Paid $80 for it, which I guess is less than a trip to the ER if your using the plastic jack and it breaks. There is one more on eBay if you want the entire jack and tools with the spare tire for $199.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Activ Zeus Bronze Metallic (+ 2016 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT Platinum)
86 Posts
I was certain that I had previously noticed that my jack was metal, but I checked today and saw those plastic arms and terrifying connectors/joints. 😢

Perhaps this plastic jack represents a marvelous feat of engineering, but it looks more unsafe than a hog at a BBQ festival.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bad news to report on the replacement jack I ordered from GMParts. I received the jack today and it’s the same plastic jack with even the same part number(42743995) even though I ordered pn: 42743996. I am of course returning it.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts