Trailblazer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem was brought up on FB group. One owner had his jack break while changing a tire. The pictures he posted showed that the arms on his scissor jack were made out of plastic instead of metal. I went out today and took some pictures of my jack which was not made out of plastic, but instead was all metal the way it should be. His Trailblazer is an AWD RS so my theory about cheaper jacks being put into lower trim levels was not valid.

Here is my jack and jack kit in my AWD RS.

Here are some pics of his jack.

Check your jacks and post here what you end up with, plastic or all metal.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm also wondering if the build date has something to do with this? Mine was built 3/20.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Activ Zeus Bronze Metallic (+ 2016 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT Platinum)
80 Posts
Most included car jacks are terrible, but that plastic thing is absolutely terrifying! I will say, though, that even a standard metal scissor-style jack will fail quite easily if not used correctly.

I will be interested to see if anyone else can confirm the existence of a plastic jack in the TB.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still shocked by this and if there are more of these plastic jacks out there I'm sure a lawsuit will happen, especially if anyone is injured or worse. If my jack was plastic I would demand a new metal jack from GM asap.

Reactions: Number6

·
Registered
69 Posts
My new RS AWD fully loaded has the crummy cheap plastic jack. 🤬 When I bring it in for it’s first oil change I’ll see about getting a proper steel replacement. If anybody does get a steel replacement please post.

I don’t like it but then again I had my last car for 13 years and never even took the jack out of the car. Honestly I can’t recall in the last 30 years that I used a manufactures jack to change a spare but all the same, it’s unacceptable that if I did need to use it, I wasn’t supplied with a usable jack for the car.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Activ Zeus Bronze Metallic (+ 2016 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT Platinum)
80 Posts
I'm not concerned about the strength of the arms themselves, but I don't trust the joints that are connected to the plastic arms. The joint appears to be what failed in the FB example.

My last car didn't even have a spare, though. So, I guess it's all relative.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’m thinking the earlier TBs had real metal jacks then the Chevy bean counters decided they could save a buck and a half by only putting toy plastic jacks in the cars and now that’s all we get is cheap junk jacks. If I can’t get Chevy to replace it with a real jack I’ll look elsewhere to get a steel jack for the car. They’re pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Plastic in Big blocks, Plastic in LS motors, not surprised to see them cheaping out on other pieces too. That in no way is rated for the axle weight of the vehicle, while my 1999 1st Gen is certainly heavier its factory metal jack is still barely rated for it.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
278 Posts
To me it is a safety issue. In the event you need to put the spare tire on, I would have zero confidence in the plastic version. There could have been some disastrous results. The car could have been damaged beyond the need for a tire repair/replacement. The individual could have been seriously injured. For me, if that broke in use,I would be replaying that over and over in my head. Sad that bean counters are eager to put money in the bank over public safety.

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
483 Posts
This is just dumb. I will be checking mine and if plastic tell the dealer to please replace with a metal one. That is just insane.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is just dumb. I will be checking mine and if plastic tell the dealer to please replace with a metal one. That is just insane.
I agree, I'm still shocked by this decision to use plastic jacks. Did GM save a pound or a dollar switching to plastic?

·
Registered
47 Posts
ZR2LIFE Thanks for the heads up on the plastic jack.
I also have the plastic jack for my AWD Activ. Those that have the metal jack, is there any numbers on it? My plastic jack has 42743995 on it and if there is could it be 42743996?
I looked up 42743995 on GM Parts Direct web site and it is discontinued but they list 42743996 Jack as an active part number. So I was wondering if 42743996 is the metal jack.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The part number for the all metal jack is 42608319.

For anyone who wants to know the weight limit is 1000 kg or 2204 lbs.

Reactions: Trev68

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the part number.
No problem. This part number doesn't come up on basic searches so you might actually have to go to the dealership to order one since it's a new part. If you do find a source, please post it here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I looked up 42743995 and it is a jack for the TB but it’s been discontinued. The part 42743996 is an existing jack that’s still available and it fits the 2021 TB. Cost is $40.17. Unfortunately, pn 42608319 didn’t turn up any results.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The part may have to be ordered directly from the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
483 Posts
I should not have to pay crap for a SAFE jack. I have a plastic one. I find this unacceptable. I will be having a talk with my dealer.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts