Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been loving my new Trailblazer.

However, there's one thing about the exterior that I just can't seem to "unsee", for lack of a better word. It's that silly little antenna sticking up off the roof. I think that for a 2021 car, it's a little bit out of place.

Thinking of replacing it myself with a 3rd-party shark fin... Anyone thinking of doing the same or have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The problem I'm seeing is the base of the Trailblazer antenna is freakishly large for some reason. Finding a cover that fits has been a challenge. The one I used (Possbay) I had to modify so it probably isn't the last one I'll be using but for now it does the job.

What I would really like to know is there a stock antenna (fin style) off another vehicle that could be directly swapped with the one on the Trailblazer. That would seem to be the optimal solution.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
747 Posts
There are definitely shark fins on other GM vehicles. Maybe one of them would be compatible?

Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
So i want to put on a shark fin, I see them on Amazon, but don't want to lose any reception, (weaker/smaller area) than the one that came with it...any thoughts

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Active AWD
24 Posts
So i want to put on a shark fin, I see them on Amazon, but don't want to lose any reception, (weaker/smaller area) than the one that came with it...any thoughts
I would tread carefully on this type of issue. Inside the base of the antenna are actually several different antennas and cell phone receivers for your On-star access. The other larger issue is roof clearance in that it most likely has been designed to fit under any sliding roof rails as you might move them around to accommodate different loads (kayaks, cycles, skis. etc). The design is probably more focused on this issue and it might cause issues to an observant future car shopper when it's time to move on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
At least as far as shark fin antenna covers go (not a replacement antenna) you are only unscrewing the FM antenna and attaching the one adhered to the inside of the cover so it shouldn't (and hasn't in my case) affected XM, OnStar. I live in suburban area so my FM signal is pretty solid but I don't really detect any issue there either.

As for the roof rails, the stock antenna sits back pretty far and the stock mast antenna is pretty tall. When the shark fin cover is on (at least the way I did it) I don't think there would be too much problem with roof rails either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd like to throw a sharkfin cover over mine as well, but I can't find one that looks like it would fit over the giant base. Anyone know of one big enough to fit properly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tons of shark fins, sure, but they all look too small according to the measurements. I've got one of the biggest ones I could find on order, so we'll see if it'll fit with some modding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update:
Yeah, it didn't work. I could do what the OP did and kind of prop it up on it, but I want to find one that actually fits properly. Guess I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not a shark fin but I replaced the antenna with a short stubby carbon fiber antenna. Looks better than the factory antenna and so far I’ve had no problems with reception.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been looking since I installed the modded Possbay shark fin I put on but have not found one with a larger base opening yet.

I removed the gasket mounting piece, ground down everything I could underneath, and used a silicon adhesive to attach to the existing antenna base. There is like 1/8" gap between the cover and the roof but as the original base is unaltered, it isn't like it's going to leak or anything and unless you are 6 1/2 feet tall looking over the roof you can't even see the gap.

I've been driving with it months now through rain, snow, and car washes and there haven't been any issues and I'm super happy with the look of the one I have over the stock antenna.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just wondering...where did you get that stubby? I just got a Trailblazer and I really need to get rid of that huge whip antenna.

Thanks.
I bought it off of Amazon. It was just $6.99. Do a search for “StickyDeal Universal Car Antenna Mast Carbon Fiber Vehicle Replacement” it comes with several different adaptors for different cars.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
747 Posts
Doesnt the Blazer have a fin? I wonder if that would work.
Several GM vehicles have the shark fin and I would think integration with the Trailblazer would be easier with a GM part vs aftermarket.

Reactions: Shogunmark
1 - 20 of 33 Posts