Trailblazer Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
1,044 Posts
Don't think the Lemon law covers wrecked cars????
It's not because of the accident, it's because parts aren't available which is GM's responsibly to have them available. If parts aren't available then there is no way to fix the vehicle which makes it fall under the lemon law. Whether it's parts needed for warranty repairs or parts needed to repair damaged panels etc, once 30 days has passed you can go the lemon law route. It's best to check the lemon law in your state since they differ slightly. This would be a different story if we were talking about an older model which GM isn't responsible for making parts anymore, but the Trailblazer is only 2 years old, so no reason why parts shouldn't be available.

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
751 Posts
We all know why parts are not avail, delayed ec. I would be peeved also if it were not avail but it is just life these days and will so for some time to come. I thought the lemon law in general was for the same fix of a failure over many attempts. Not just because the part is not avail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not because of the accident, it's because parts aren't available which is GM's responsibly to have them available. If parts aren't available then there is no way to fix the vehicle which makes it fall under the lemon law. Whether it's parts needed for warranty repairs or parts needed to repair damaged panels etc, once 30 days has passed you can go the lemon law route. It's best to check the lemon law in your state since they differ slightly. This would be a different story if we were talking about an older model which GM isn't responsible for making parts anymore, but the Trailblazer is only 2 years old, so no reason why parts shouldn't be available.
I have to disagree. There is not one lemon law that covers all vehicles. There are different rules that apply to new cars versus used cars. For a new car, under the law of most states, for a vehicle to be considered a lemon, the car must 1) have a "substantial defect," covered by warranty, that occurs within a certain time after purchase, and 2) continue to have the defect after a "reasonable number" of repair attempts.
Now in this case the key phrase is "COVERED BY WARRANTY". Damage to a tailgate as a result of an accident, caused by another driver, is NOT "covered by warranty". Think of it this way. Someone in the middle of the night comes to your parked car, causes damage (steals your converter, smashes your headlights, beats the hood with a hammer, etc.). Gm is out of that part for your new car due to supply issues. Chevrolet should be responsible????? It is not a warranty issue. The car should be considered a lemon and you get a replacement car, brand new????
In this case if the tailgate was broken due to a defective hinge or something of this nature, and could not be fixed for weeks making the car undrivable, then the dealership would be responsible. BUT even in that example, if this was a bad hinge, not something known to be happening on a "substantial" number of the model car, it still would be a a leap to be covered as a lemon.
The key problem is this is not a warranty problem, not caused by a defect, and Chevrolet warranties (which the buyer knew at time of purchase) do NOT say parts must be available in X amount of days. The automakers would be out of business, especially in this time of supply chain problems, if they had to pay for loaners for each car waiting for repair due to lack of parts that are NOT covered by warranty.
I had a brand new range that the oven did not work upon delivery from Lowes. National brand. They had no replacements in stock. It was in the peak of Covid. Ranges of all makes and models were impossible to get. Waited for 7 weeks until a replacement was found. My neighbor has been waiting for 5 months (not a typo, 5 months) for a new sofa.

·
Super Moderator
751 Posts
Yea to piggyback on that sofa thing. News story here local where people are going to consignment shops to find furniture since getting new have such long lead times now.

·
Premium Member
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer RS
87 Posts
I spoke with GM today. It could be up to one year, yes one year, to get parts.

·
Super Moderator
751 Posts
Holy shit. A year to get a tailgate? I'd look for a used on from another wreck and have it put on. Not ideal but a YEAR?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Holy shit. A year to get a tailgate? I'd look for a used on from another wreck and have it put on. Not ideal but a YEAR?
Yeah, I have emailed their CEO Mary Barra to try and get her response. But she is more worried about getting Electric Vehicles started than worrying about existing customers. I have filed a complaint with GM, GM Financial, Attorney General, basically anyone I can get an email or phone number for. They can produce the vehicles but then tell me theres a parts shortage? Then stop producing the vehicles that you can't get parts for.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Ok, I called GM and got my case escalated and have a case manager. They are now working with the dealership to give cost assistance, whatever that means.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts