Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all! I have had my 2022 RS for just a couple of months…yesterday I was unfortunately rear ended sitting at a stop light. I was stopped and the girl behind me just slammed into me.

I have never been in an accident ever, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice! I submitted a claim through progressive (which is automated) and currently am waiting to hear back. The car Wasn’t drivable at the time and was towed, I don’t know the total damages yet.

Has anyone been in an accident with theirs? I’m worried about the availability of getting parts to fix? I am also worried about diminished value? Obviously even if repaired it will never be worth the same.
I do also have gap insurance on the car that was through the dealer, but my understanding of that is it’s only available if your car is completely totaled?
Any advice is appreciated! I’m just so sad this happened ):

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
64 Posts
A similar crash is how I ended up with my TB. I had a Cruze hatchback for just under a year before getting rear-ended at a light as well. I thought it looked fixable (I even drove it to the shop), but it was totaled due to frame damage. I don't think your TB got hit as badly, so you may be in luck, I'll upload a pic for comparison. Good luck!

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
1,096 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. If the unibody has been damaged in any way you're looking at a total loss. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that right side looks like it was hit pretty hard. The GAP insurance is usually only used when you can't make payments due to a hardship or loss of income, but look over your policy carefully as you might have additional coverage. Diminished value is real and the best way to handle it is to have a DV inspector look at your vehicle at report the damage assement and estimated loss to your insurance company, that way they can get the extra money from the other parties insurance.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
64 Posts
I think ZR2LIFE is correct on the damage assessment, but I'm pretty sure GAP is intended for this exact situation, to fill in the "gap" between the value of the car and the loan. For example: $20k still owed to the bank, but the car is only worth $18k from insurance. If you don't have gap, insurance gives your bank the $18k and you still have to make payments on the remaining $2k even though you don't even have the car anymore. The gap insurance is intended to take care of that extra $2k. Essentially, you end up with nothing if gap kicks in, but that's better than continuing to pay for a totaled car.

Additionally, while it doesn't take the sting away completely, it's a good time to be paid out for a totaled car. I got paid out approximately $2k more than I purchased my Cruze for because of the upturn in the market. I still had to put gas in, change the oil, etc, but I figure I just about broke even for my 11 months of ownership.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That sucks. With all of the sensors on the car I'd be tuned into the estimates and what they're proposing to do. I'd also try at least 2 or even 3 collision shops for estimates as well. Unless the frame is bent the car should be rebuilt just fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi y’all! I have had my 2022 RS for just a couple of months…yesterday I was unfortunately rear ended sitting at a stop light. I was stopped and the girl behind me just slammed into me.

I have never been in an accident ever, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice! I submitted a claim through progressive (which is automated) and currently am waiting to hear back. The car Wasn’t drivable at the time and was towed, I don’t know the total damages yet.

Has anyone been in an accident with theirs? I’m worried about the availability of getting parts to fix? I am also worried about diminished value? Obviously even if repaired it will never be worth the same.
I do also have gap insurance on the car that was through the dealer, but my understanding of that is it’s only available if your car is completely totaled?
Any advice is appreciated! I’m just so sad this happened ): View attachment 1398
View attachment 1397
View attachment 1396
A similar crash is how I ended up with my TB. I had a Cruze hatchback for just under a year before getting rear-ended at a light as well. I thought it looked fixable (I even drove it to the shop), but it was totaled due to frame damage. I don't think your TB got hit as badly, so you may be in luck, I'll upload a pic for comparison. Good luck!

View attachment 1399

Any advice is appreciated! I’m just so sad this happened ): View attachment 1398
View attachment 1397
View attachment 1396
Terrible experience for sure. I'd be sick about it (mine too is a 22 RS. It looks like it missed the tailgate, which is fortunate. But looking at the rest, this isn't going to be cheap. Hope you did not have a high deductible but more I hope she had active insurance. I have to disagree a bit with others about Gap. Gap insurance usually only comes into play if your car is stolen or total loss. As has been said, if the frame is fine this will not be total loss. And Gap insurance also depends on size of your loan that you insured. You have to still owe the loan company MORE than the value of the car. If your loan is 20,000, and after your car is repaired the depreciated value is 15000, then you have 5000 that MAY be covered by the Gap policy. I say MAY because a lot of GAP policies do NOT cover depreciated value due to an accident. For instance if you go out and drive into a lamp post, or parked vehicle, damage your car, repair it, get it estimated to be of less value than your loan, GAP will not pay. It has to be TOTALLED (and generally there is a clause that some don't cover even that if you were the cause of the accident) OR stolen. These GAP companies will fight you tooth and nail NOT to pay. Also there is another battle with GAP policies. The minute you drive your car off the lot, on the day you first pick it up, it is worth LESS than its original value. So to determine the value they will take the value of your vehicle (doesn't matter how much you owe) the day of the accident, then the value of a car of your type, AFTER repairs. then most often subtract about 20% from that, and that is you diminished value.
You need to file a DEMINISHED VALUE claim against HER insurance company, as soon as possible. Do not wait until the car is repaired. File the claim right now. Your insurance company should do this for you if you tell them too. Here is a good simple website about diminished value process:
How Much Does a Vehicle Depreciate After a Car Accident? (bryantpsc.com)
I share your concern about parts availability. It could be a long time. It still is taking months just to get a new car, I'm sure body parts will be difficult. Again her insurance company should cover rental expenses for you

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
822 Posts
These cars don't have frames. Most no new car has one. They are unibody. I thought gap insur if you have it pays for the amount the car is worth and what you have left to pay on it. So if you owe 20k, but it is worth 18k, gap covers the 2k. With the way used cars and the sky high worth they are these days one would think you would get a good amount for the truck.. Who knows. As for it parts will be avail if it does get fixed, who knows.

·
Registered
90 Posts
These cars don't have frames. Most no new car has one. They are unibody. I thought gap insur if you have it pays for the amount the car is worth and what you have left to pay on it. So if you owe 20k, but it is worth 18k, gap covers the 2k. With the way used cars and the sky high worth they are these days one would think you would get a good amount for the truck.. Who knows. As for it parts will be avail if it does get fixed, who knows.
I'm old ... so if the UNIBODY is bent is the end result (TOTALLED) or am I mistaken about that as well? 😉

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
822 Posts
Depends how bad it was bent up. Minor it can be dealt with. They won't know till they can get into it, pull off the bumper cover, etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You are correct, it covers the gap. As I said in my example if you owed 20k, it was worth only 15k after repair, the gap would pay 5.

·
Registered
2021 chevy trailblazer activ
23 Posts

View attachment 1397
View attachment 1396
Sorry about your car. Did you find out if they are able to repair it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update…..I pray none of y’all get into an accident because this is so frustrating!
Everything is fixable, they said it wasn’t as bad as they initially thought. We were able to get most of the parts…except the liftgate….which there is apparently NO eta for!!! I have absolutely no idea when I will get my car back and they said it could be a very long time ):

·
Registered
59 Posts
They are able to repair but I KNEW this would be the issue….trouble getting parts. They can’t even give me an ETA of when they will be able to get a new liftgate.
Yep, you are screwed. Terrible situation. Wouldn't be so bad if it was some minor body part or something, but a damaged tailgate is awful. Not much you can do. Their insurance will just give you the "cash" they owe based upon the estimate, to repair. They don't care when. You still will be entitled to get payment for a rental vehicle during the time when the tailgate finally comes in. Hopefully the body shop can at least make your current tailgate functional (even if it does not look right) or at minimum get it sealed up so you don't endure leaks from rain, etc.
Try these links. Somewhere in the country there may be a totaled trailblazer and you can get a used body part: I did a search and found a few used tailgates: Here is a link.
Search Results (car-part.com)
(some are with damage some are shown as NO DAMAGE). All about $2500.

Or try this:
Late Model Parts - Nationwide Used Auto Parts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, you are screwed. Terrible situation. Wouldn't be so bad if it was some minor body part or something, but a damaged tailgate is awful. Not much you can do. Their insurance will just give you the "cash" they owe based upon the estimate, to repair. They don't care when. You still will be entitled to get payment for a rental vehicle during the time when the tailgate finally comes in. Hopefully the body shop can at least make your current tailgate functional (even if it does not look right) or at minimum get it sealed up so you don't endure leaks from rain, etc.
Try these links. Somewhere in the country there may be a totaled trailblazer and you can get a used body part: I did a search and found a few used tailgates: Here is a link.
Search Results (car-part.com)
(some are with damage some are shown as NO DAMAGE). All about $2500.

Or try this:
Late Model Parts - Nationwide Used Auto Parts
Thanks for the tip! I honestly can’t even believe I need a whole new one. From the side angle it definitely looked ajar and out of place, but I didn’t think it looked damaged that badly

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
1,096 Posts
I believe once your vehicle is in the shop for 30 days due to parts not being available GM usually starts making your monthly payments until they are available. I know several owners of other GM vehicles who have had GM pick up the monthly payment. You also have the lemon law option past 30 days, but check your local laws to be sure. If you're going to be waiting for months for your Trailblazer to be fixed it might just be easier to get a new one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is Chevrolet covering you a loaner car or rental since they cant get you the parts you need?
No way is Chevrolet responsible to provide a car that is in a body shop excessive days because of lack of parts availability. First remember it is not Chevrolets fault the car is damaged. so it is NOT a warranty issue. Also is the car even at a Chevrolet dealership? Think of all the body repair places. A typical body shop doesn't even have loaners, they just tell you go rent a car on your own. Should the brand be responsible for providing repair parts and how long it takes to get them? This is why we have car insurance. Think of anything you buy. Say it is a TV and you accidentally scratch your TV screen when it is one month old. You have to pay to repair it of course, but the replacement screen may not be available due to supply chain issues, for 2 months. Should the TV company be responsible for giving you a loaner TV?
Yes a car is much more expensive but it is the same condition. You damaged the car. The supply chain makes part availability long. So Chevrolet should provide a "free car" until your part arrives?? They used to warranty that if your car was in the shop for more than 3 days for a repair, you'd get a loaner. Especially brands like Caddy, BMW, etc. They don't even do that anymore. I think Lexus still does. BUT these are only for repairs that occur due to warranty breakage and repair, not your own fault.
Now MOST policies cover rentals up to a max of 30 days. Of course they have the option to go longer, but it does not usually happen. But if you are the policy holder they sometimes make exceptions for a few extra days, out of good will.
BUT in this case the insurance company paying for repairs, rental is the "other" driver who caused the accident. They will of course stick to what the typical policy says which is 30 days rentals.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts