Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in at about 1150.00 miles. Thought I would check the oil today. I checked it twice and it was down just a tiny bit on the stick between "the cross hairs". I'd think maybe a 3rd of a quart. Maybe it came from the factory that way?
I expect NEW cars not to burn oil. I have two cars with 120k (Miata) and 196k (5.3 Z71) on them and they use about quart between 3k to 5k mile oil changes.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
356 Posts
I am just over 2k and checked mine the other day. It was lower than I thought it would be. Still in the range, so no need to add. I didn’t check when new, so I have no reference point from where I started. I will be changing around 3500 miles. Way sooner than what the maintenance schedule recommends.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will take a photograph of the oil level on ours today and use it for comparison vs a future oil check.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine was up on the high end (good) of needs oil added area. I will just watch it and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am hoping tthey just did not top it off at the factory. I will be NOT happy if this needs a quart come 3k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well my wife has a new 2021 Trailblazer RS 1.3 Turbo. At about 1,500 miles she had a code show up, so we took it back to the dealership. Upon inspection .. they found the engine to be 3 1/2 qts low on oil !!!! Our 1st question was "why didn't the "low oil" light trip? They really had no answer. They topped it off and said to return in 500 miles. My wife was ready to make a trip this past Friday to the other coast of Florida. It was very close to the 500 mile window to return, so they could check it. So, I decided to check the oil myself before she left. Nothing .... not a drop on the dipstick!!! So, go to say it's now at the dealership, we received a call today (Monday) that they were still investigating the rapid oil consumption, they said they think it has something to do with the #1 Cly. but don't have a bottom line answer. They are getting with GM about what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a new motor to me.

Reactions: Micky

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Activ Zeus Bronze Metallic (+ 2016 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT Platinum)
96 Posts
I wonder how long one of these things would run after draining the oil. 🤔 Please no one try that! 😬

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
356 Posts
That is a worrisome amount of oil consumption. New engine designs are always interesting to see what the common fault points become. Let’s hope it is a mfg lot issue of a particular part, than a stigma of the engine itself. I hope they can find a long term solution.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been watching my oil levels, so far so good at 9k miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm at 2,200 miles. I just did a 1,200 mile trip from Tampa to Philly. Oil level about 1/2 quart below the full marker on the dipstick. I topped it off.
Not concerned about that amount of usage on a new engine but I would recommend owners keep an eye on it.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine did the same thing. I think it may have came from the factory low. I am at 11k now and it is staying on full.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well my wife has a new 2021 Trailblazer RS 1.3 Turbo. At about 1,500 miles she had a code show up, so we took it back to the dealership. Upon inspection .. they found the engine to be 3 1/2 qts low on oil !!!! Our 1st question was "why didn't the "low oil" light trip? They really had no answer. They topped it off and said to return in 500 miles. My wife was ready to make a trip this past Friday to the other coast of Florida. It was very close to the 500 mile window to return, so they could check it. So, I decided to check the oil myself before she left. Nothing .... not a drop on the dipstick!!! So, go to say it's now at the dealership, we received a call today (Monday) that they were still investigating the rapid oil consumption, they said they think it has something to do with the #1 Cly. but don't have a bottom line answer. They are getting with GM about what's going on.
Sorry to hear that, but at least Cyl #4 has been ruled out as the culprit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in at about 1150.00 miles. Thought I would check the oil today. I checked it twice and it was down just a tiny bit on the stick between "the cross hairs". I'd think maybe a 3rd of a quart. Maybe it came from the factory that way?
I expect NEW cars not to burn oil. I have two cars with 120k (Miata) and 196k (5.3 Z71) on them and they use about quart between 3k to 5k mile oil changes.
What's the word on your wife's Trailblazer, still burning lots of oil? My wife has the exact same problem. We have an appointment there today for first oil change cause her oil has only 17% life left and the dipstick is near empty at only 6200 miles. Help, please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I think it may have came from the factory low. I am at 11k now and it is staying on full.
My wife's at the same story and she has 6200 miles and no oil. It looks like bad news. Is there any silver lining to your story?

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think mine was LOW from the factory. not off the stick just a little below the SAFE zone on the dipstick. Now at 13.5k miles it is always at the correct level when I check it. The oil life is only what the truck reads on how "good" the oil is before needing changed. I think it is the system most new cars have that read miles/heat cycles, etc to determine how much "life" is left in the oil. I am sure can explain that one to you better then me.
I have not seen or heard much about these being oil burners. Did any of you with issues check the oil early on, like with few miles, maybe it's been low all along?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's the word on your wife's Trailblazer, still burning lots of oil? My wife has the exact same problem. We have an appointment there today for first oil change cause her oil has only 17% life left and the dipstick is near empty at only 6200 miles. Help, please.
Hey Paul, So after using 4.5 qts of oil in the 1st 500 miles, the dealership topped off the oil level and asked us to return in 500 miles so they could check it again. The one concern is that NO "low oil" lamp light came on !! Wife was ready to make trip to other coast of FL babysit grandkids. Before she left I decided check oil level... I pulled the dip stick and found NO Oil on it. Again 2nd time NO low oil lamp ever came on. She drove straight to the dealership where they gave her a free rental car. They had the car for 30 days, they've installed a new motor per GM. One piston was all carboned up from photos taken inside cly of engine, other 2 looked super clean like new.

I tried to work out getting a new car, as they had this one all torn apart, windows left down inside work area (dirt & dust got inside new car) Whole front end, fenders & wheel trim were all removed stacked up behind car in bay. waiting on new engine to be shipped and installed. I have my own shop so to say the least I wasn't happy. GM Customer Service STUNK and only offered us 1 free monthly payment. I wanted a NEW CAR, that's what we purchased and that's what we expected. Dealership then reached out to GM Area Rep for assistance and got ZIP ZERO natta. So the General Manager of the Dealership worked over the numbers as best he could. We paid $500. and he put us into another Trailblazer like we first had. Very thankful to have a Great Dealership like Roger Dean Chevy in Cape Coral.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They don't want to give out new cars when inventory is LOW. But I would have pressed them like you did. Glad it worked out in the end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts