Trailblazer Forum banner

Oil and filter change, 1.3T RS AWD

72K views 80 replies 30 participants last post by  dcbridgwater 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided to do my first oil change today on my RS with the 1.3T engine which now has 3500 miles.

The 1.3T engine calls for 4.8 quarts of 0W/20 Dexos synthetic oil and a GM/AC Delco PF66 or UPF66R oil filter. K&N also makes an oil filter for the 1.3T, part number HP-1021. If you have the 1.2T engine the oil is 5W/30 and also requires a different filter. I bought Royal Purple oil since it's higher quality than most oils, but I would also recommend Mobil 1 which is factory fill on most GM's.

I removed the whole plastic splash shield to get some pictures, but there is an access door that's easier to remove for oil changes.

If you remove the whole shield it's (13) 7mm screws and (3) plastic reusable rivets that hold the shield in place. The smaller access panel is just (3) 7mm screws.

The drain plug is a twist lock/unlock design with a large o-ring so it doesn't require a torque spec. The plug requires an 8mm allen wrench and is located on the plastic oil pan. If you would like to have a spare oil drain plug on hand the GM part number is 55498782.

The first recommended oil change is at 7500 miles, but after only 3600 miles the oil was very dark which I figured it would be for break in oil, so don't wait 7500 miles, lol.

I also clean the MAF sensor when doing an oil change. If you decide to do this you'll need to remove (2) T20 torx screws and use CRC MAF cleaner.

One word of caution! When filling with new oil, the fill hole has a small drain into the engine so pour the oil in slowly or it will overflow and spill out.

Here are some random pics I took while I was underneath.

Cool Watts Link rear end location system which keeps the rear axle centered properly.

Exhaust system.

One thing I found interesting was that the electric parking brake locks the front wheels and not the rear wheels like most vehicles.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
GM dealerships on eBay and Rock Auto both have the PF66 filters for cheap. I bought 4 from Rock Auto for like $4 ea.

Here's a pic of the black oil at only 3,600 miles. I seriously don't think waiting till 7500 miles is a good idea.

Steve

Reactions: Orangebird
#7 ·
I have done what ZR2LIFE has done, and ordered several from Rock Auto. In my area they were not in stock when I looked online. With Rock Auto's pricing, it was cheaper to wait. I checked my oil level and it is still at the same level as when I first checked. Oil still looks good for 4500miles.I will still change it out and then go in at 7500miles. I believe the warranty comes with the first service interval within the first year of ownership.

#9 ·
Yes, however the filter might be a little more difficult to remove and install since it's harder to get your hands around it. I used a filter wrench/socket that fits the PF66 perfectly to remove and install the filter. With the right tools it's easy to do the oil change with the splash shield installed, but without the wrench/socket it would definitely be easier with the whole shield removed.

Steve

#10 ·
I changed mine this weekend and with a strap style filter wrench I had a heck of a time getting it to unthread. I will probably always remove the shielding when I do oil changes. Even with preparing for a new vehicle change. I though I prepared well and oil came out pretty fast and splashed around some. I feel it would get on to the shield and drip after being done. ZR2LIFE was spot on with the tool sizes needed.
One thing that is unique is the drain plug is more of a twist and lock/unlock.

#11 ·
This is just a reference thing. Here is a picture of the new and original filters. New is on the left. I find it funny that they illustrate hand tightening 3/4 to 1 full turn on the new filter. Mine must of been installed by Shrek, or Andre the Giant. Now way when taking mine off that it was at that level of tightness.
I don't know if the red/white labels represent original installs, or if GM decided a design change was needed to freshen up the brand for marketing:D

Attachments

#12 ·
AC Delco makes a higher quality "ultraguard gold" oil filter that fits the 1.3T engine just like their PF66. It's AC Delco UPF66R. I bought a couple from Rock Auto for about $7 ea.

#14 ·
Picked up this funnel on Amazon the other day for my 18 ZR2 and found out it also fits the Trailblazer perfect. It will actually fit most GM vehicles with a 1/2 turn oil fill cap. This will be especially helpful on the Trailblazer since the oil fill hole has small drain back passages which makes spilling easy. The funnel screws into the oil fill tube with an o-ring just like the factory cap.

Engine oil funnel for GM vehicles

#17 ·
I decided to do my first oil change today on my RS with the 1.3T engine which now has 3500 miles.

The 1.3T engine calls for 4.8 quarts of 0W/20 Dexos synthetic oil and a GM/AC Delco PF66 or UPF66R oil filter. If you have the 1.2T engine the oil is 5W/30 and also requires a different filter. I bought Royal Purple oil since it's higher quality than most oils, but I would also recommend Mobil 1 which is factory fill on most GM's.
View attachment 273

I removed the whole plastic splash shield to get some pictures, but there is an access door that's easier to remove for oil changes.

If you remove the whole shield it's (13) 7mm screws and (3) plastic reusable rivets that hold the shield in place. The smaller access panel is just (3) 7mm screws.

The drain plug is a twist lock/unlock design with a large o-ring so it doesn't require a torque spec. The plug requires an 8mm allen wrench and is located on the plastic oil pan.
View attachment 270

View attachment 271

View attachment 272

The first recommended oil change is at 7500 miles, but after only 3600 miles the oil was very dark which I figured it would be for break in oil, so don't wait 7500 miles, lol.

I also clean the MAF sensor when doing an oil change. If you decide to do this you'll need to remove (2) T20 torx screws and use CRC MAF cleaner.

One word of caution! When filling with new oil, the fill hole has a small drain into the engine so pour the oil in slowly or it will overflow and spill out.

Here are some random pics I took while I was underneath.

Cool Watts Link rear end location system which keeps the rear axle centered properly.
View attachment 274

Exhaust system.
View attachment 275

View attachment 276

View attachment 277

View attachment 278

View attachment 279

One thing I found interesting was that the electric parking brake locks the front wheels and not the rear wheels like most vehicles.

Steve
With only 300 miles on my trailblazer I'm doing my homework on how to change the oil. Youtube has nothing that I can find. Then I searched the forum and this post was the first I saw. I can truly say I'm thankful for folks like you that take the time to do writeups, even if it's just a simple oil change. You are appreciated. Many thanks from Ohio.

#19 ·
So the Activ has a skid plate that doesn't protect the oil pan? There was no access door?

#24 ·
I wonder what the thought process is for leaving the filter area open on the ACTIV model but covered on others? You would think that since that is the more rugged model, it would be covered to keep debris out.
Looks like a bigger opening, but I would still remove the shield. Oil never drains straight down for me, and I don't want to have dripping afterwards. Just my OCD😁

#25 ·
That's why I take the whole shield off, ocd here too, lol.

#27 ·
The drain plug is also bigger than most threaded plugs so it does come out fast. I recommend replacing the o-ring after a few oil changes to help prevent leaks. The o-ring part number is 12667457.

#32 ·
They are supposed to filter out smaller particles (micron rating), but that's the only difference I see. I always try to use the best filters available which is usually K&N for me, but they don't make a replacement for the PF66 yet. Royal Purple and Mobil 1 also make good filters.

Reactions: dcbridgwater
#34 ·
Oil drain plug part number added to original post. If you need one as a backup it's GM part number 55498782. I paid $3.20 on ebay through Everett Chevrolet.

#36 ·
They are just plastic with an o-ring. It's funny that the plug with the o-ring is cheaper than the o-ring by itself. The o-ring should last a few oil changes before I'd replace it with a fresh one. Since the drain plug is made out of plastic and could break I just wanted to have a spare on hand just in case because you can't just run down to the parts store and buy a new one.

#37 ·
K&N now makes an oil filter for the 1.3T, part number HP-1021.

Reactions: tonythetech_412
#39 ·
Exactly why I started a topic on this forum about it. You can see how it could be dangerous if you're not aware of it. I was a little surprised when I first noticed it too.

#40 ·
Bump

Admins, please pin this topic to the top of this section, otherwise known as a "sticky" topic.