Trailblazer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Active AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For reference, this is a quick explanation of how the optional trailer hitch gets installed on a Trailblazer. I've seen discussions regariding third party hitches but how do you compare those to the dealer installed one? Maybe a little understanding might help.

For myself, I am interested in cycling, so I wanted a better way to carry a bike, and the better bike racks are usually trailer hitch mounted. But at the same time, I didn't want any loss in ground clearance as access to a lot of Mt. Bike trails involve unpaved roads and fields.

Key information the might be helpful is that in order to attach the hitch, there are electrical connectors behind the rear bumper cover that are accessed by removing that cover as well as there are additional structural items for added strength. While I have done items like this before, I had this performed at the dealership before taking delivery as I wanted to have to option for use right at the start of car delivery.

If you do order the kit from the dealership, there are unique bezels that are installed surrounding the hitch that are unique to your vehicle trim leve such as LS, Active or RS. Remember, this will extend into the Buick versions of the vehicle as well.

So what's involved?

A good majority of the work is just getting the rear bumper cover off. To do that, the rear wheels have to be removed, several body clips and fender liners have to then be removed. There is another piece of trim that is on the outside of the wheel well that then has to be taken off as it joins over the gap between the rear quarter panel and the bumper cover. After all of that, you can then can remove the cover. To give one an idea of this, from the instructions on the hitch installation guide looks like:

And the above illustration, you can see the structural beam that will have to be removed:

Here is a better view of that beam, and in the inset of the image, you will see where some additional structures will be inserted.

And all those different bezels to surround the hitch?

Just ensure the dealership has the right one for your trim level as they are different. There are guides behind the cover that mark where to remove material. But again, unique per trim levels.

When finished, the hitch is nicely tucked up out of the way and won't affect ground clearance. Yesterday was probably the first day I really got to get out with it, and I drove a couple of miles of dirt roads and was pretty happy to arrive the parking lot with a clean bike rack (my last vehicle would collect a lot of mud/spray from the rear wheels).

Here's what the rack in the hitch looked like:

I liked the fact that it's tucked up out-of-the-way, you can see the muffler is still at a lower point.

Reactions: ZR2LIFE

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Trailblazer Activ
16 Posts
Thanks for the involved look! I just ordered my hitch and bezel cover. I will be preforming the install with a friend. I found instructions off curt's website for their hitch. But I can not find instructions online for the OEM hitch. I would like to read through it before I get the hitch. Does anyone know where I can find it?

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Active AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do believe it should be included with the kit, but I don't think a lot of the service materials have been released yet to 3rd parties (not sure why).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts