Trailblazer Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yea they did not get any code. But I made sure the few things we have going on with the TB have been logged. I also have the bubbling on the chrome bumper cover up front logged. It is very small now but I'd expect it to OPEN UP eventually. Then I will have them fix it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it fails you should get a CEL since it controls the variable valve timing. I'm not sure what happens to the bolt when it fails, but if it was a safety issue a recall would have been issued instead of a TSB.

Steve
If that bolt fails it's almost guaranteed to cause damage. Given these are interference engines pistons could land on the valves or worse. The likelihood of this happening is still about 1 in 50,000 however these engines like to rev hang and if one was to stomp on the gas when the engine is doing it's dumb rev hang it could potentially cause moderate to severe damage overtime or immediately.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
234 Posts
If that bolt fails it's almost guaranteed to cause damage. Given these are no interference engines pistons could land on the valves or worse. The likelihood of this happening is still about 1 in 50,000 however these engines like to rev hang and if one was to stomp on the gas when the engine is doing it's dumb rev hang it could potentially cause moderate to severe damage overtime or immediately.
Where did you get this information? A failure of the variable valve timing sysyem should not cause any engine damage, but it will set a CEL. You also mention a 1 in 50k chance it will damage the engine. How do you know this?

Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
I said if a bolt fails or something worse. VVT is not anything to do with a chassis it has to do with the way the engine operates look up interference vs. Non interference engines the 1 in 50k qoute is only figurative as I've had experience first hand in crank and timing parts fail in other cars.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I said if a bolt fails or something worse. VVT is not anything to do with a chassis it has to do with the way the engine operates look up interference vs. Non interference engines the 1 in 50k qoute is only figurative as I've had experience first hand in crank and timing parts fail in other cars.
You said "if that bolt fails it will cause guaranteed engine damage"? Just wondering where you got that info on the 1.3T? I also never said VVT has anything to do with the chassis?

For those who don't know me, I've been a mechanic for the past 30 years, so I know a thing or two, but that does not mean I know everything. I like to learn just as much as I like to teach. My goal here and on every other forum I'm on is to make make sure "accurate" information is being posted. If you can add links to the information you post it sometimes helps.

Steve

Reactions: JEdward

·
Registered
28 Posts
You said "if that bolt fails it will cause guaranteed engine damage"? Just wondering where you got that info on the 1.3T? I also never said VVT has anything to do with the chassis?

For those who don't know me, I've been a mechanic for the past 30 years, so I know a thing or two, but that does not mean I know everything. I like to learn just as much as I like to teach. My goal here and on every other forum I'm on is to make make sure "accurate" information is being posted. If you can add links to the information you post it sometimes helps.

Steve
Was referring to the page 1 post about the camshaft bolt. This may be where we have our issue with interpretation. I'm not trying to spread misinformation as you are a mechanic so you know the wonderful life of chevy valves by now and have likely had experience with the interference engine drawbacks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm not trying to spread misinformation as you are a mechanic so you know the wonderful life of chevy valves by now and have likely had experience with the interference engine drawbacks.
Yes, some of these engines get severely damaged when timing chains or belts let go usually resulting in several bent valves and cracked pistons crowns. This is the first 3 cylinder engine I've owned, but not the first 3 cylinder vehicle I've driven, think Geo Metro with a whopping 55 hp, lol.

This new 1.3L 3 cylinder is similar to the 1.4L 4 cylinder I had in my Cruze, but it also has lots of engineering updates so hopefully it turns out to be a good engine. The 1.4L wasn't a bad engine, but the electronics controlling it were garbage. That car nearly killed me and my family on 3 separate occasions which is why GM bought it back under the lemon law. Imagine driving down the freeway at 70 mph and the car randomly downshifts into 1st gear causing an almost uncontrollable loss of traction not to mention trying to avoid every other car around you. Not fun at all!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Our (me and Wife) first new car buy was 1993 Metro Conv, manual trans. We loved it. Gave us no issues. Great car, put like 50k on it before we sold it since a kid was on the way. Funny, the next NEW (only one since 93) car buy these many years down the line is another 3 popper TB.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts