Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Anyone hardwired their dashcam? Would tapping into the fuse panel void any warranty?

·
Registered
119 Posts
i got the thinkware dashcam and had it installed... but i believe there is a harness for it that you can get that taps into the OBD.. i think its a Y adapter if i remember correctly. Thats if i remember correctly, not 100% since i didnt install it myself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put the Chortau front and back cam in mine, and ran the wires, but mine is plugged into the lighter, looks and works great...watched a few youtube vides to DIY the wires, but no hardwire into the fuse box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got the thinkware dashcam and had it installed... but i believe there is a harness for it that you can get that taps into the OBD.. i think its a Y adapter if i remember correctly. Thats if i remember correctly, not 100% since i didnt install it myself.
Thanks for the input. Yes that's another option. But i think that might drain the battery since the obd provides continuous power even after turning off the vehicle. There might be some kind of a module they are using to automatically cut off the power from the Obd when the battery reaches a certain percentage or voltage to avoid battery damage. I'll try to look for that.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the Chortau front and back cam in mine, and ran the wires, but mine is plugged into the lighter, looks and works great...watched a few youtube vides to DIY the wires, but no hardwire into the fuse box.
Yeah I did the same thing although i only have a front cam. Looks pretty neat actually. Im just thinking of hardwiring it so there will be nothing plugged in the power/usb socket panel. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
866 Posts
I have the Thinkware F800 and it doesn't drain the battery plus it's a GM accessory for the Trailblazer so it integrates with the factory wiring harnesses and won't void your warranty.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
866 Posts
Very nice, did you install or have dealer?
I could have done it, but the dealership said they'd do it for free so that made my decision easier, lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Thinkware F800 and it doesn't drain the battery plus it's a GM accessory for the Trailblazer so it integrates with the factory wiring harnesses and won't void your warranty.

View attachment 987

View attachment 988
Wow this looks like an oem and didn't look like a third-party accessory at all. I only got a Ddpai (a chinese cam). I'll try to find a compatible obd cable for it. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the input. Yes that's another option. But i think that might drain the battery since the obd provides continuous power even after turning off the vehicle. There might be some kind of a module they are using to automatically cut off the power from the Obd when the battery reaches a certain percentage or voltage to avoid battery damage. I'll try to look for that.
Thanks!
I have had mine since january and it does not drain the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a front facing insignia dash cam I bought off eBay and hard wired it into the fuse box using a fuse tap. Easy peasy. Purchased a dash cam wiring kit on ebay to make it stupid proof. I tapped into the empty spot labeled for the heated steering wheel. So it's on 24/7- which is what I wanted.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer RS
59 Posts
I just ordered the Rexing V3, should be here next week sometime. I plan to wire to fuse as well. I'll post some pics once I get it installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a front facing insignia dash cam I bought off eBay and hard wired it into the fuse box using a fuse tap. Easy peasy. Purchased a dash cam wiring kit on ebay to make it stupid proof. I tapped into the empty spot labeled for the heated steering wheel. So it's on 24/7- which is what I wanted. View attachment 1013
View attachment 1014
Nice! Wouldn't it drain the battery if it's ON 24/7? Btw the plastic part behind the rearview mirror can be removed easily so you can tuck the wires inside it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice! Wouldn't it drain the battery if it's ON 24/7? Btw the plastic part behind the rearview mirror can be removed easily so you can tuck the wires inside it.
Most cameras have a voltage setting, so that if it falls below xx amount then it shuts off preventing battery drain. But they also usually have an internal battery so that if it detects impact it will wake up and start recording.
I believe this is how the Thinkware cameras work, not sure about the others.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer RS
59 Posts
I have a front facing insignia dash cam I bought off eBay and hard wired it into the fuse box using a fuse tap. Easy peasy. Purchased a dash cam wiring kit on ebay to make it stupid proof. I tapped into the empty spot labeled for the heated steering wheel. So it's on 24/7- which is what I wanted. View attachment 1013
View attachment 1014
Which switched and constant fuses did you use? I got a smart hardwire kit, and i need to plug into a switched and a constant fuse, TIA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 1019
Drain the battery?
Had it for a few months now so I can confirm no. I drive my TB 3 days a week so it can sit up to 5/6 days before starting it again. No issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Which switched and constant fuses did you use? I got a smart hardwire kit, and i need to plug into a switched and a constant fuse, TIA.
I only tapped into the heated steering wheel fuse. I found a ground to the left of the brake pedal under the trim piece that runs along side of the seat.

Sorry for the late response.

·
Premium Member
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer RS
49 Posts
Most cameras that are hardwired have what’s called parking mode. They pretty much go to sleep when the car is turned off. They awake when there is movement or impact of your vehicle. I have been thinking about getting another one. Had one in my Subaru Forester XT. It was a Viofo Duo A129. I do NOT recommend Viofo. Nothing but issues

1 - 18 of 18 Posts