Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
1,096 Posts
Both Trailblazer engines will run fine on 87 as they were designed too, but there are benefits to running 91 like smoother running and more overall power. The Trailblazer has a static compression ratio of 10.0:1 and under full boost (22psi) that can increase to as high as 18.0:1. When using 91 the timing maps stay on the high end which delivers the most power while running on 87 pulls timing to prevent detonation which also reduces power. I always got slightly better gas mileage on 91, but since it's also more expensive it won't offset the cost. I suggest experimenting with both octanes to see if you notice any difference.

Reactions: Canada03ZR2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Both Trailblazer engines will run fine on 87 as they were designed too, but there are benefits to running 91 like smoother running and more overall power. The Trailblazer has a static compression ratio of 10.0:1 and under full boost (22psi) that can increase to as high as 18.0:1. When using 91 the timing maps stay on the high end which delivers the most power while running on 87 pulls timing to prevent detonation which also reduces power. I always got slightly better gas mileage on 91, but since it's also more expensive it won't offset the cost. I suggest experimenting with both octanes to see if you notice any difference.

We use Regular gas. Just have 5,000+ miles today. At first we were seeing 26-27 MPG ( kinda disapointing ) but on our last two long distant trips we got 30 and 31 MPG.
We do not use the onboard system to tell us gas mileage. We keep a log and do the math. All that matters is how much did you buy and how far did you go. I dont trust the onboard computers. They lie...

·
Registered
208 Posts
We use Regular gas. Just have 5,000+ miles today. At first we were seeing 26-27 MPG ( kinda disapointing ) but on our last two long distant trips we got 30 and 31 MPG.
We do not use the onboard system to tell us gas mileage. We keep a log and do the math. All that matters is how much did you buy and how far did you go. I dont trust the onboard computers. They lie...
My city mileage is terrible, getting around 26ish. but i dont really drive that often at the moment so its not a big deal. But highway it will get around 31ish.

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
822 Posts
HWY trips going 65/70 MPH not driving it like a race car we get 34/35 mpg.
I don't really pay attn to city but I think it is about 28mpg?

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
64 Posts
If we're discussing fuel economy, my overall average is a somewhat disappointing 26.9. I use fuelly.com to track my mileage in all of my vehicles so I don't have to do the math myself. According to the site, "Based on data from 9 vehicles, 417 fuel-ups and 103,574 miles of driving, the 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer gets a combined Avg MPG of 26.67 with a 0.52 MPG margin of error." So, I guess I should be happy with my numbers. Notably, I have an AWD model with the 1.3 L engine; I do a pretty even mix of highway and around-town driving; I almost always use the "sport" mode because I prefer how the steering responds; and I have a bit of a lead foot. I suspect someone else could get much better numbers than me with the same vehicle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
822 Posts
Sport mode and LEAD FOOT is why you are not getting more MPG. I never use Sport mode and drive 65-70 MPG and get 35 avg on the HWY. 28 or so city.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Activ Zeus Bronze Metallic (+2022 Silverado 1500 RST Z71)
113 Posts
Turbos can provide wonderful fuel milage with an economical driving style, but suck gas quickly if you are heavy on the pedal.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If we're discussing fuel economy, my overall average is a somewhat disappointing 26.9. I use fuelly.com to track my mileage in all of my vehicles so I don't have to do the math myself. According to the site, "Based on data from 9 vehicles, 417 fuel-ups and 103,574 miles of driving, the 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer gets a combined Avg MPG of 26.67 with a 0.52 MPG margin of error." So, I guess I should be happy with my numbers. Notably, I have an AWD model with the 1.3 L engine; I do a pretty even mix of highway and around-town driving; I almost always use the "sport" mode because I prefer how the steering responds; and I have a bit of a lead foot. I suspect someone else could get much better numbers than me with the same vehicle.
I am 1 of those 9 that is bringing down the average, lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts