Trailblazer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our first snowfall and it was significant event. Lot of snow, slushy ice. A lot of accidents and spin outs. Made for a slow commute home. Put the TB in AWD and it made the drive much less tense. Handled well in the bad weather.
I consider it a sad day in the vehicles history, as it now will be subjected to all the contaminants of salt, sand, beet juice solution they spray on the road surfaces prior to winter weather events. It will now be harder to keep it clean.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
237 Posts
Rinse and wash as often as possible. The salt is probably the worst enemy.

AWD is really only 2WD (1 front wheel & 1 rear wheel). I wish we had some sort of limited slip in our differentials to increase traction even more, but at least power is going to the front and rear which increases stability.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
291 Posts
WHAT? This AWD is just one wheel up front and one out back moving the TB?

·
Registered
237 Posts
WHAT? This AWD is just one wheel up front and one out back moving the TB?
Yep. It's because we have "open" differentials. Under certain conditions where 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel are losing traction you won't move at all because power always goes to the wheel with the least traction. In some vehicles traction control can help by applying the brakes to the wheels spinning which gives the other wheels traction again, but I don't thing our Trailblazers work that way. Usually that feature is on higher end models with AWD. 1 front and 1 rear wheel with traction in AWD is still better than just 1 front wheel with traction in 2WD.

Steve

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 2018 ZR2 is one of the only true 4WD vehicles on the market. Under normal driving in 2WD I'm really only in 1WD, but I have the option to engage lockers on the front and rear axles to have real 4WD. If I'm just in 4WD without the lockers engaged I'm really only in 2WD just like the Trailblazer in AWD.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
Huum. Not true AWD then.

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
Kinda not understanding how they can say AWD when it is not.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Kinda not understanding how they can say AWD when it is not.
Well, when you're in AWD, all of the wheels share the power, but only 2 can have full power. If you were to raise 1 front and 1 rear wheel off the ground while in AWD you would notice that the 2 wheels off the ground would spin while the other 2 still on the ground would do nothing. If you somehow did this under normal driving on road or off road you'd basically be stuck and unable to move. I'd really like to see some pics of the inside of each differential to see if it's possible to design some sort of limited slip, whether it's a spring loaded clutch pack, a spring loaded cone with seat, a helical gear posi or electrically actuated locker. Any of those could transform our (2WD AWD) into a true 3WD or 4WD. I agree it's misleading to call something AWD when it really isn't, but we also have trucks advertised as being 4x4 when they're really only 2WD or 3WD when in 4WD.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
Lessoned learned for me. Sooooo my 2001 Z71 when in 4x4 is not true 4x4?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lessoned learned for me. Sooooo my 2001 Z71 when in 4x4 is not true 4x4?
Yes that's correct. It probably has GM's auto locker rear end (Gov Loc), but no front limited slip or locker so you have a true 4x3 or 3WD. My 05 ZR2 Blazer is the same as your 01 Z71, 3WD. You can add a locker to your 01's front axle, but I hear they like to break things so I've avoided doing it to my 05.

I would like to know how the Trailblazer's torque is split between the front and rear axles? GM hasn't released this information yet, but most people suspect it's close to 50/50 front/rear which should perform well in snow and other slippery conditions.

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Winter tires is your best friend regardless of 2WD, AWD or 4x4 I've driven RWD Camaros for over 8 yrs in new england winters and only the first on the stock all seasons was it shittyish as they were new but lacked that extra traction and compound a true winter tire has.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Winter tires is your best friend regardless of 2WD, AWD or 4x4 I've driven RWD Camaros for over 8 yrs in new england winters and only the first on the stock all seasons was it shittyish as they were new but lacked that extra traction and compound a true winter tire has.
What winter tires do you recommend based on your experience with New England winters which can be brutal? I've heard good things about Bridgestone Blizzaks, but have never tried them, so I can't say how well they really peform.

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
What winter tires do you recommend based on your experience with New England winters which can be brutal? I've heard good things about Bridgestone Blizzaks, but have never tried them, so I can't say how well they really peform.

Steve
I've had blizzaks they are good but overpriced I still maintain the Firestone winterforce are criminally overlooked. I've had winterforce and blizzaks on my 2017 the winterforce are marginally better plus the ability to stud them and alot cheaper. I had the winterforce studded on my 2011 V6 Camaro thing could go from a dead stop on a steep hill no issues.

As far as new england winters they can be brutal the issue is most municipalities don't plow anything under 4 inches until the cleanup so you get the ice pack...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts