Trailblazer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual and the dealership maintenance reminder sticker on my windshield both say the first maintenance check and oil change are at 7500 miles. That seems high to me. I thought the first oil change on most vehicles was within the first 1000 to 3000 miles? I realize most oil is synthetic these days, but those first few thousand miles are the break in period for the engine which puts more metal in the oil than normal. This is the first brand new vehicle I've had, but not the first new engine and in the past I've always done that first oil change at 500 to 1000 miles. I also know that small turbo engines like the little 1.3 generally work harder and get hotter than say a normally aspirated V6 or V8, so the oil breaks down a little faster. I currently only have 250 miles on my RS, but I'd like to plan ahead. What do you guys think about this recommended first maintainence?

Steve

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
113 Posts
No way I am waiting until 7500 miles. My dealer always recommended 5K miles on the Equinox. Anytime I waited that long the oil was definitely black. The Equinox was my fist vehicle dedicated for Synthetic oil and I was surprised at how bad it looked. I started changing it much sooner.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see doing normal oil changes from 5000 to 7500 if using synthetic, but it just seems too long for the break in period. I'm thinking about doing the first oil change at 3000 then switch to using the OLM (oil life monitor) and changing at 80%.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts