Trailblazer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 trailblazer with the 1.3 and and. The thing is an absolute dog. I've contemplated turbo swaps, I've already done an aftermarket exhaust. But it still isn't fast enough for me. For reference my 2008 honda fit is faster. What are the possibilities of swapping the engine to the 4cylinder out of the blazer

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
669 Posts
Why would you buy a vehicle that has an engine you don't like? Not only that if you swap any other engine into your Trailblazer the whole warranty will be voided?

Show us what exhaust you put on. I'm still gathering parts for mine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I may have been unnecessarily harsh in my previous post. I find it surprising that after a test drive the lack of acceptable performance wasn’t apparent and didn’t just keep looking for a more powerful alternative. Doing an engine swap I believe would require considerable structural modifications to get anything to fit and would void the warranties on vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
327 Posts
I actually would love to see an engine swap done. I was hoping that the SEMA show would have had an example of a TB highly customized. I am going to throw this out there and say HEY DAVE KINDIG, LET'S SEE WHAT YOU CAN DO TO ONE OF THESE? If you don't know who he is, he is a well known car customizer, with a TV show on the MOTOR TREND Network. I love most of his work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
He's likely referring to 45 to 85mph being a tiresome bore. Which it is, but if you bought the TB not knowing this then you failed yourself not the TB you. An engine swap would require a lot of the electronics be moved to accommodate anything remotely bigger, and I doubt there's much that would easily and seamlessly hook up to the 9speed or CVT in these you'd likely be doing the entire drivetrain.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
327 Posts
He's likely referring to 45 to 85mph being a tiresome bore. Which it is, but if you bought the TB not knowing this then you failed yourself not the TB you. An engine swap would require a lot of the electronics be moved to accommodate anything remotely bigger, and I doubt there's much that would easily and seamlessly hook up to the 9speed or CVT in these you'd likely be doing the entire drivetrain.
GM has used the 9 speed for a few years now. So finding an larger displacement engine to mate up shouldn’t be an issue. I believe some of the 4 cyl engines would fit. A V6 might require a little more massaging.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
327 Posts
Keep in mind, if they are looking at swapping engines for something else, they probably are not concerned about a warranty.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
669 Posts
I don't even think a V6 would fit. A late model GM inline 4 cyl would fit, but they have the same hp, so it wouldn't be much of an upgrade and certainly not worth chopping up a brand new vehicle and voiding the warranty. If the warranty means nothing to you maybe looking into a larger turbo and custom tune make more sense?

Reactions: Number6

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Activ Zeus Bronze Metallic (+ 2016 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT Platinum)
93 Posts
Inline Turbo 4 Cyl from the Camaro has some nice power but I can almost guarantee it won't mate to the 9 speed.
That's the same engine I had in my CTS and I suspect you're right about the mismatch on the tranny.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's the same engine I had in my CTS and I suspect you're right about the mismatch on the tranny.
That in lies the issue anyone looking to engine swap will deal with. The V6 options are simply to big to fit and the decent 4 cylinder options are going to require mating to a 6speed or 8speed auto or go manual. You know or go race transmission and be all custom done.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Activ Zeus Bronze Metallic (+ 2016 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT Platinum)
93 Posts
That in lies the issue anyone looking to engine swap will deal with. The V6 options are simply to big to fit and the decent 4 cylinder options are going to require mating to a 6speed or 8speed auto or go manual. You know or go race transmission and be all custom done.
I may have spoke too soon. It looks like the 2.0 LTG does mate up with the 9-speed transmission in the Chevy Malibu, which is essentially the same transmission as in the TB. (I think this pairing shows up in other models as well.) So, assuming someone could fit the 2.0 under the hood, it might work with the existing transmission.

The fact that the 9-speed in the TB is AWD may complicate matters, though. I know that the CT6, for example, had to forgo AWD on the 2.0 models because it would have been too tall for the engine compartment. I assume there's a bit more height under the hood of the TB, but it's hard to say given the different ground clearance, etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
May be a swappable with the AWD ATS but again that's a sedan/coupe transmission going into a CUV would likely need fabrication. And your right the LTG is a much taller engine and just from having one I doubt it would be an easy task. Honest to god opinion is find a company to make custom forged rods and pistons, new fuel injectors and pumps both LPFP & HPFP and get a bigger turbo fabricated in. Or two smaller ones either way your gonna hafta relocate most of the electronics and battery somewhere else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know, its definitely a step up from my 18 Encore. In my short test drive I noticed a big difference in pickup, not sure what one is looking for. Buy a high powered vehicle if your looking to race off every light.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would start looking at what you have so far. Pulling cooler / ram air intake, porting heads, bigger turbo, exhaust (port matching, possible header) and unleashing the torque management. Removing any weight and lighter wheels/tires would help as well. Just some thoughts and I would think would be easier than an engine swap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts