Trailblazer Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
433 Posts
Well I am going to find out tonight here in Cincy. Starting at 3'ish, 8-12 inches dropping on us.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Active AWD
11 Posts
I don't know if this will help at this point, but to me this sounds completely like you've hit a very hard packed or icy conditions. Very few vehicles can handle ice. The Hancook Dynapro AT2 tires on Active are supposed to have good traction (high silca content) for the snow. In the case where you find youself in a situation like that, you might want to turn the AWD off and slow down. There is a rudimentary traction contol system on the car (details are hazy to me) but it might only be a stability control system that I activated in some snowy conditions where I live. Most stability control systems will break opposing corners and that may be happening in your case as well. My guess is if you find yourself in deeper conditions where the snow offers resistance the AWD will feel more comfortable. It sounds like when its activated, the front and rear differentials will operate at the same speed and that's causing the overstear.

Reactions: ZR2LIFE

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Well it got me home yesterday and to work today. I just don't feel the confidence to get around in snow weather that I have had with recent Z71 Silverado's I have owned. Today I was getting on to a on ramp and it got a little squirrely on me as in TB was sliding left and right for a few moments. It was fine, I may have been in the gas a little more than I needed but I was still driving with snow on the road in mind. I am think as a few have written here that the ACTIVE tires are not the best all season one could have on these.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Active AWD
11 Posts
You can over torque anything. But also remember, those full sized full framed trucks weight more, that always puts more pressure on the ground as long as the front axle engaged. Which is a slight benefit on the TB, it's primarily front wheel drive with engine over the axle.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
I always thought that if a ONE wheel drive car, if one side lost traction the other would try to drive the car then.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
405 Posts
I always thought that if a ONE wheel drive car, if one side lost traction the other would try to drive the car then.
Not with an open differential. Power always goes to the wheel with less traction. You need some sort of limited slip unit whether it's clutch packs, helical gear posi, lockers, etc in order for power to go to both axles. Traction control counteracts the problem with the open differential by applying brake pressure to the wheel losing traction which then forces power to the wheel on the opposite side to gain traction. TC can independently apply brake pressure to any wheel in order to keep even traction.

Reactions: JEdward

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Should I use TC on the TB in snowy weather? Not clear on that one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Should I use TC on the TB in snowy weather? Not clear on that one.
Snow yes, but be careful if it's icy. Sometimes TC can create more problems when there's hard packed snow or ice because it's constantly applying the brakes to keep traction. When you get too much braking especially in a turn momentum will just take you in a straight line and right off the road. I always tell people if you have a nice big parking lot somewhere that's covered in snow try the different modes and see how they compare. I always turn TC off and sport mode on when it's dry out, but TC can definitely save you when it's wet or snowy out, just watch out for that ice, lol. 🥶

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Yea i had it on a open lot last night. More snowy than straight ice. I felt not using TC the TB was more stable. I just come from years of driving Chevy 1500 Z71's. This TB is a little bit of a diff game in the elements.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yea i had it on a open lot last night. More snowy than straight ice. I felt not using TC the TB was more stable. I just come from years of driving Chevy 1500 Z71's. This TB is a little bit of a diff game in the elements.
I was gonna say try driving in the snow without TC, but I'm careful recommending stuff like that for obvious reasons, lol. If you know what your doing then yes you'll have more control without TC. It also depends on the vehicle. TC in my last Z06 was great and saved me a few times around town, but at the track I always turned it off to have more control and learn the limits of the car. I also never use TC when off roading because you want as much control as possible.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Well I am 53 and have driven more cars with out all the frills to "help" you stay on the road etc. Many a years playing in parking lots to understand what cars do just this TB feels a little diff.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
231 Posts
I believe, too many people get overly confident with AWD or 4WD Neither system is a cure all. Over the years of driving, I have seen trucks & SUV's blow past me on roads with slippery conditions to later see them spun out. If you have spun out, you have out driven the road conditions. Every snow event brings different conditions for driving.
Even good winter tire only can help so much.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Yea most video of wrecks in the snow it is a TRUCK or SUV that is off the road.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The Trailblazer is also light which doesn't help. A little extra weight in back could help a little in the snow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think you'll need alot of extra weight in the back to help. Being that traditional thinking is weight is in the front over the front axles because of the engine and that is still the case but like hell is this lawnmower sized engine adding enough to make a true difference. I think the suggestions on turning TC off and AWD is a good start as well as finding a parking lot and learning the way the TB reacts.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts