Trailblazer Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I hurt alot of feelings with my 2.0T Camaro tuned with proper shift points and torque management you can walk most V8s on the street on the track it's different never was one for street racing we are blessed with a few desolate straight maintained backroads where I am but to many drunk drivers out here to risk it.

·
Premium Member
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer RS
87 Posts
I watched a guy in a 5.0 Mustang, when I had the Prelude, look at me in surprise when I left him by a car and a half. I tried to let him try again, but he wouldn’t pull back up next to me.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I watched a guy in a 5.0 Mustang, when I had the Prelude, look at me in surprise when I left him by a car and a half. I tried to let him try again, but he wouldn’t pull back up next to me.
I've been on the other side of races like this. I'll never forget the 63 VW bug that lined up against me and I kinda laughed until I saw him pass me at the 1/8 mile mark and continued to pull away. From the outside that bug looked stock, but later found out he was pushing 400hp in a tiny light weight bug. My 450hp in a 3800lb car was no match. He was definitely winning the power to weight ratio that day against me and everyone else, lol.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It was an ugly green ragtop that looked all original, but it was back in the 90's and I don't think he was around then, lol. When I first saw these guys above and AZN bug I did remember that moment long ago.🤯

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was wondering the same thing, but I still think it would still need some resonators near the end of the exhaust to get rid of the drone/resonance. Another idea I had was 3 bullet mufflers which are essentially the same as resonators, 1 to replace the front muffler and 2 more after the y-pipe. One thing I have learned so far is the rear muffler is very restrictive. I know GM was more concerned with sound control than losing some power, but this was a bit too much. I also see a real market for a well made high flow exhaust now. I wasn't sure before, but it's clear there are good gains to be had by uncorking this little engine.
What I meant was taking out front muffler and leaving rear muffler on? The exhaust flow would definitely be faster when it hit rear muffler. Do you think you would have a drone problem?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
What I meant was taking out front muffler and leaving rear muffler on? The exhaust flow would definitely be faster when it hit rear muffler. Do you think you would have a drone problem?
You wouldn't have any drone, but you also wouldn't get the nice bump in power since the rear muffler is very restrictive.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
This is what the rear section looks like in case anyone wants to try something similar. The plan is to put a resonator on each pipe after the y-pipe and then reevaluate the sound.

Reactions: Trail Blazed

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
what about a single resonator right before the Y-pipe?
Definitely possible, although that requires cutting out a section of the factory exhaust which would make returning to stock more difficult.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
ZR2LIFE,
Is the Y piece an off the shelf item?
Are the pipes slotted for clamping?
I bought the y-pipe, exhaust clamps and SS bolts from ebay, the exhaust tubing from Summit Racing and the SS hex couplers from Amazon. It was about $150-$160 for everything. You could do it for about half that if you used steel parts instead of stainless steel, but SS will last forever so I always go that route with exhaust parts.

The y-pipe is 2" ID for the inlet and both outlets so a 2" OD tube fits pretty good, but I still made 1 slot on each y-pipe connection so the narrow band clamps fit tighter.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
What are you using for the exhaust pipe hangers?
The SS exhaust clamps have 10mm x 1.5 bolts, so I used a SS 10mm x 1.5 hex coupler along with a SS 10mm x 1.5 bolt. The bolts are 140mm long with the heads cut off, then bent 90° using a Mapp torch. I used the nuts that come with the clamps as jam nuts to secure the hangers once you get the height adjusted.

Reactions: Timberwarp

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
whatever happened to this project?
Sold my Trailblazer back in January. I still have the exhaust, just not sure if I should keep it for a future project or sell as is.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts