Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I noticed when closing my hood, I need to drop it from approximately 1/2 open (maybe a little less) in order for it to latch to lock closed. If I drop it from 8 or 10 inches, it won't latch and if I then try to just push it closed when its sitting on the latch, it also won't latch closed. Does this sound normal to have to drop the hood from the distance I described?
Thanks

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
867 Posts
I have to drop mine about a foot for it to close. You could try adjusting the bumpers if it's hard to close.

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
622 Posts
I have to drop mine from a foot or a bit more also for it to close. I hate it. And you can't push down on it and close it.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
If you adjust the bumpers won't the hood/sheet metal lines then be off?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you adjust the bumpers won't the hood/sheet metal lines then be off?
No it should not affect the alignment of the hood. The bumpers compress, if they are able to be adjusted, by lowering them you are only reducing the force required to compress them making it easier for the latch to lock. Think of it like reducing the compression of a spring, As long as the spring has enough free length it will still have enough force applied to align the hood properly. If you lowered the bumpers to much, you may have the issue you mentioned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got mine last week and opened the hood for the first time today. I was so confused how to close it. The manual just says drop it, but I had to drop it from about 2 feet and it slammed shut finally. I actually found this thread while trying to figure out out.

That just didn't seem normal for a brand new vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
I think the manual says like drop it from 12 inches. It is odd that it closes like that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the manual says like drop it from 12 inches. It is odd that it closes like that.
We tried 12 inches, then more and more until finally it latched. We were about ready to call chevy support (dealer wasn't open on Sunday) because nothing was working.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is the first car I’ve ever had in over 40 years of cars that requires me to drop the hood from 12 plus inches to latch properly. It’s a little strange.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Activ Zeus Bronze Metallic (+ 2016 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT Platinum)
96 Posts
I know this seems to concern a lot of people, but I think the required height for hood closure is related to the overall lightness of the hood compared to the strength of the latch spring. I think we recognize that these Trailblazers are not engineered like tanks; they use relatively thin body panels to boost both the economy of vehicle cost as well as fuel usage. (If you need proof of this catalyst for "economy", please go though a carwash with a powerful blower/dryer at the end of the cycle.) But the strength of the hood latch is still important.

It is clear to me that the TB (mine, at least) is a well-engineered and well-assembled vehicle, so I'm not too concerned with these minor eccentricities.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just naturally dropped the hood from a foot the first time I closed it. I thought that was just normal? I'd rather drop it with enough speed for it to latch than push down on the front of the hood. I've seen people dent hoods doing that with very little force applied.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The only hoods that don't close with dropping are the ones with gas struts. Every other car/truck that uses a hood prop rod to hold it up can be dropped to close, so it's not unusual to have to drop the hood on the Trailblazer.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
359 Posts
Even first gen TB's you have to drop the hood. I would have preferred struts to hold up the hood. Doesn't bother me that it doesn't. You just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
21 TrailBlazer RS 1.3 turbo fwd Metallic Black
7 Posts
Noticed hood rattling slightly on hwy doing 60+mph one time trying to ensure a good seal by adjusting the rubber dampers under hood. Was jus weird on first trip w new car. Def a nice aesthetic to the hoods mine had a small dent in it was repaired by PDR guy fairly easily on the dealer mobile repair company.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Seems like alot of them had loose hoods. The hood latch is also adjustable if you want to make it tighter.

Reactions: Briz

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone added a blinking third break light, if so what model and how, ya know all the needed info..I'm going to add one my self

1 - 20 of 20 Posts