Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Trailblazer RS AWD
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through trial and error I have learned that crapple CarPlay connects through the vehicle's Wi-Fi Hotspot. It makes no sense to me, I thought it was via Bluetooth. With the hotspot disabled, CarPlay cannot and will not connect wirelessly. With a USB cable CarPlay connects just fine, but not wirelessly.

This brings me to today's dilemma: When there are 2 phones in the car, anything Bluetooth is supposed to be detected via the key fob that started the car, if the user has defined that criteria. That brings in the "first to connect" function and all that. But, since wireless CarPlay is apparently connected via Wi-Fi hotspot, there is no such detection of which key is in service. In this case, with 2 CarPlay users in the vehicle, is the only option to manually select the appropriate user on the infotainment screen? No auto connect to a certain CarPlay user?

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is a setting in there where it lists which phones you have connected to the car and you can set which one is the primary phone. Not sure if that also applies to Apple CarPlay but I imagine it should.

I had never connected to the cars wifi hotspot, and now I have no wifi plan through OnStar and I have no problems connecting via wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Trailblazer RS AWD
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had never connected to the cars wifi hotspot, and now I have no wifi plan through OnStar and I have no problems connecting via wireless CarPlay.
That's interesting: not connected via Wi-Fi hotspot and still have wireless CarPlay. During my analysis I disabled the Wi-Fi hotspot and during that part of the process I could not connect to CarPlay via wireless, with Bluetooth on. The very moment of enabling the Wi-Fi hotspot, I had wireless CarPlay again. hmmmm....am I age impaired?

I do not have OnStar either. Is the Wi-Fi hotspot just an internal connection between phone and vehicle? No data plan, just an internal connector?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts