Trailblazer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know these Suv's have the little ass motor and turbo. What is the best strategic/approach to preserve them to last the longest they can? What can I do, driving habits, to get the most life out of the turbo? Never have had a car with one?

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
167 Posts
In my opinion use 89 or higher octane and change the oil every 5k miles or when the oil life monitor reaches 30%. I wouldn't go the recommended 7500 miles between oil changes even though today's synthetic can handle it. These small turbo engines run much hotter than a typical non turbo 4cyl and they work hard especially a little 3cyl.

Steve

Reactions: Artistico

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 93 Geo Metro Convt, that little 3 popper (no turbo) was fun. Top down fun pulling upwards of 50 mpg on the hwy. Just want to do what I can to preserve this little power plant in the TB.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a 93 Geo Metro Convt, that little 3 popper (no turbo) was fun. Top down fun pulling upwards of 50 mpg on the hwy. Just want to do what I can to preserve this little power plant in the TB.
An old girlfriend of mine had the same Geo. I believe that 3cyl only had 55hp and was made by Suzuki, but yeah the gas mileage was amazing, lol.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it was a Suzuki motor. Ours was a 5 sp. We put 50k on it before selling (had kids, was a 2 seater). It never gave us any trouble.

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So running higher octane gas and changing oil often is the way to keep the life longer with a turbo?

·
Registered
167 Posts
So running higher octane gas and changing oil often is the way to keep the life longer with a turbo?
Yes. Small turbo engines work very hard and get very hot. More frequent oil changes (every 5k vs 7500k) and running higher than 87 octane will help. Even 89 octane is better than 87, but I've already noticed 91 makes a difference so that's what I've been running. A drop in performance air filter like a K&N or similar will also make the engine run better due to less air restriction. A less restrictive exhaust will also help quite a bit. The double muffler system on this SUV is huge and most likely very restrictive. GM was clearly more concerned about keeping it quiet than adding a little more power. Hopefully these aftermarket parts companies get some stuff made soon. :rolleyes:

Steve

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is it hard a turbo after a drive where it get to running temp when you come home or park it to get into a store for a bit to let it sit and idle for a moment to cool down or just shut it off. Just looking for some best practices here to make the best of this thing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's also worth pointing out that climate has a big effect on turbo engines. I believe we are running an air to air heat exchanger which are very efficient, but they have limitations. Your engine's air inlet temperature will always be a few degrees higher than the outside air temperature. If you live in the northern states or Canada your engine will run much cooler and be happier than the same engine in the southern states or Mexico. Cold air is more dense than hot air and has more oxygen molecules packed in it, so cold air not only makes the engine run better but it makes a little more power. If you live in a hot climate I would run 91 octane all the time and do more frequent oil changes, but if you live in a cold climate your probably fine with 87-91 octane and running closer the recommended oil change intervals. It's also a good idea to add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner every 3k miles or so to clean the combustion chambers. Direct injection is very efficient, but also notorious for fouling up. The high pressure injectors can't self clean like the older injectors because they are inside the combustion chamber vs being in the intake manifold so they experience high heat and pressure while the older ones did not.

Steve

·
Registered
167 Posts
So is it hard a turbo after a drive where it get to running temp when you come home or park it to get into a store for a bit to let it sit and idle for a moment to cool down or just shut it off. Just looking for some best practices here to make the best of this thing.
Your fine just shutting it down. Idling may actually increase the engine temp. It's really just the turbo itself getting hot, so idling without air flow will increase undehood temps.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts