Trailblazer Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer RS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less that 10,000 miles. I have a leak in one or several places. Wet carpet throughout. Seatbelt damp when pulled out. Found 2" of water in the spare wheel well. Speakers have stopped working. This is all in a matter of 2 days after heavy rains. Took it to the dealership and they originally said Chevy admits to knowing about something similar. They instructed dealership where to hunt for the leak(s). For clarification the panoramic roof was completely sealed and dry. Water has entered somewhere and traveled through the side panels of the car. Today I get a call from the dealership and they say the drain holes for the panoramic roof were clogged with tree debris and they don't think it will be covered by warranty. Anyone experience this issue. Sounds like a structural defect to me. If it is the drain holes then I would think that be on them for bad construction. Any knowledge or opinions appreciated on issue or how to fight the warranty issue is appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer Activ Zeus Bronze Metallic (+ 2016 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT Platinum)
96 Posts
Any modern car with a sunroof (that I'm aware of at least) has tiny drain holes that route water down tubes down through the side of the car (generally the A or B pillar) and out of the car. Clogging is a frequent problem for these. I have had leaks in previous vehicles because of clogs from everything from small leaves to a dead bug.

It is a good idea to frequently check the channels around your open sunroof for debris that may cause clogging. Additionally, if you can locate the drain holes in the channel, you can pour a small amount of water into the channel to see if it successfully drains out of the holes.

I realize that this is a very unfortunate situation. Sunroofs in general are basically all flawed (on all cars) in that they are very susceptible to this clogging issue causing major water ingress.

The best of luck to you in dealing with the dealership and whether or not you can get the warranty to cover it. Hopefully, the dealership will see the value in a long-term customer relationship and do everything they can to help you out.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
866 Posts
2" of water in the spare wheel well? I don't think clogged sunroof drain holes would do that. They need to do a water test where someone sits in the car while someone else sprays water all over the exterior. There could very well be one or several leaks that have nothing to do with the sunroof drain holes. This is a warranty issue. There is no way a brand new car leaks that much even in heavy rain. If they don't want to fix it then go to another dealership and file a complaint against the last one.

Reactions: Steve F

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
621 Posts
If all that water got in, don't see it being roof drain issue.

Reactions: Steve F

·
Registered
10 Posts
Less that 10,000 miles. I have a leak in one or several places. Wet carpet throughout. Seatbelt damp when pulled out. Found 2" of water in the spare wheel well. Speakers have stopped working. This is all in a matter of 2 days after heavy rains. Took it to the dealership and they originally said Chevy admits to knowing about something similar. They instructed dealership where to hunt for the leak(s). For clarification the panoramic roof was completely sealed and dry. Water has entered somewhere and traveled through the side panels of the car. Today I get a call from the dealership and they say the drain holes for the panoramic roof were clogged with tree debris and they don't think it will be covered by warranty. Anyone experience this issue. Sounds like a structural defect to me. If it is the drain holes then I would think that be on them for bad construction. Any knowledge or opinions appreciated on issue or how to fight the warranty issue is appreciated.
I had the same problem (mystery leak) in my wife's New Beetle when they first came out in 1998. It was brand new but every time it raines the rear floor well would fill up with water during driving.
They tried to tell us it was our fault for leaving the windows open (no sunroof to worry about) but after going back to the dealer in Ventura California twice with no difference made, I threatened them with the "Lemon Law" and demanded a new car or refund if they couldn't fix it on the third attempt.
They had it for over a week during which time the head of West Coast VW servicing visited and worked on it personally apparently.
This time it was not leaking when we got it back and they had changed the carpet too.
When I asked what had been the problem, everyone was tight lipped and couldn't tell me, but one young technician did spill the beans - there had been a 6" gap in the welding on the left wheel arch during manufacture so water was spraying in off the tire during driving. As these were new models at the time, and made in Mexico I was not too surprised, but it just proves that you do need to hound the dealer sometimes to make things right - they are NOT on your side when it comes to them losing money.

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer RS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2021 Trailblazer RS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well folks. Wanna see what dealership says caused $4000 (yes they increased the amt of repair twice). Look real close for the tassel that dropped off an oak tree.

·
Registered
2021Trailblazer RS AWD Scarlet Red Metallic
866 Posts
You shouldn't pay anything! That didn't cause your problem, they just don't want to look for it or help you in any way. Time for a lawyer if GM won't help you.

·
Registered
2021 LT AWD
356 Posts
MSkeeters,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your issue with the TB. I would have them show you where exactly to look. I would also have them prove it. That would of had to of been the absolute perfect placement of tree seedlings. If Chevy doesn't honor it, I would definitely talk with your insurance company. You may have to pay a deductible, but better than $4k+

Please post a pic of your car.

·
Super Moderator
2021 TB Zues Bronze Activ
621 Posts
Thats crazy. They can't build a car that can't sit under a tree for heaven's sake. Silly.

Reactions: ZR2LIFE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts