2021 Chevy Trailblazer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy and GM are stepping their game up when it comes to vehicle safety and the Trailblazer is going to be one of the vehicles leading the charge.

CNET published this interesting article about a study the University of Michigan released in partnership with GM that shows how safety technology reduces crashes. In that article they talk about how the new Trailblazer "will be one of the first GM vehicles to provide a suite of active safety technology as standard equipment."

The biggest crash reducer was, unsurprisingly, automatic emergency braking. Bundled with forward collision alert, which attempts to warn the driver of a possible crash before automatically applying the brakes, rear-end crashes dropped 46%. The other massive crash reducer was reverse automatic emergency braking. This can allow a vehicle to, for example, apply the brakes while the driver is backing out of parking spot if a vehicle zips by from behind. The technology reduced these kinds of crashes by a whopping 81%.

The technology also includes the rear vision camera, rear park assist and rear cross traffic alert. Each of these systems on their own dropped crashes by 21%, 38% and 52%, respectively.

Even headlight systems equipped with automatic high beams reduced crashes by 35%, while HID headlights dropped wrecks by 21%. When combined, the two headlight systems reduced crashes by 49%, especially in nighttime encounters with animals, pedestrians and cyclists.

GM is only now starting to include these kinds of technologies as standard equipment on its vehicles. The upcoming 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer will be one of the first GM vehicles to provide a suite of active safety technology as standard equipment. Most recently, a lot of the benefits unlocked with the tech were locked away in options packages, often costing thousands more for buyers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is a very good move by Chevy since so many other companies offer a bunch of standard safety features. For us it's awesome that they're starting with the Trailblazer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a very good move by Chevy since so many other companies offer a bunch of standard safety features. For us it's awesome that they're starting with the Trailblazer.
It's really fortunate that it's starting with the Trailblazer, I wonder how long it will take for Chevy to do this with the rest of their lineup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wonder what the trickle down effect will be as Cadillac launches cars with more advanced safety features.
I imagine Cadillac is where GM tests out all these safety features. I'm interested to see how quickly they can do it for their other brands.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I imagine Cadillac is where GM tests out all these safety features. I'm interested to see how quickly they can do it for their other brands.
That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully it'll happen for other 2021 models, if not definitely 2022.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts